2D Scrolling

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2D Scrolling

DIJ(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all,
Just wondering how people go about doing a 2D scrolling game.
I am doing a game when the level will be populated using a tile map and I want to be able to scroll the map in 8 directions at any speed with accurate collisions.
Would I be better storing my tile info in an array or in a type, to allow more flexability.
I am using BlitzMax.

Any links to tutorials or tips welcome.

Cheers
DIJ

kragoth74(Posted 2006) [#2]
Take a look at this : http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'd make a 2d array of ints/shorts/bytes if your mapdata only has a simple structure and a custom tiletype if your mapdata is a little bit more complex (gfx numbers, event triggers, discovery fog etc.).

Then it's all a matter of displaying parts of the map in the right part of the screen. Just work with pixel-based coordinates. If your tiles are like 16x16 and your pixelcoordinate/mapoffset is like 66,40 then the tile offset would be 4,2 (int 66/16, int 40/16) and the pixel/scroll offset would be 2,8 (66 mod 16, 40 mod 16). So, you'll know what tiles to draw and at which offset.. piece o' cake!

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#4]
There is also my tilemap example available from the code section of my Blitz site below (the right one of those two logos). Just scroll down a bit and you'll find one for BlitzMax.

DIJ(Posted 2006) [#5]
Take a look at this : www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94

The link doesn't work.

Thanks for the help and links, I should be able to figure it out from there.

@JazzieB, I'll have a look at the example. Ta

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#6]
I would probably use an array of types