Slow down animation?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Slow down animation?

IKG(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've been confused about this for awhile now. I've tried working with Milisecs() to slow down the animation, but never know where to start. Using Timers worked, but they slow down the entire program so there's no way I can actually use them.

Any examples/tips/ideas on how to slow down a sprite's animation?

Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Easy answer - don't change the frame number so often.

Timers will not slow the game down if you use Timer.Ticks() instead of WaitTimer().

IKG(Posted 2006) [#3]
Isn't Timer.Ticks() for Blitzplus?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
BP?

Brendane(Posted 2006) [#5]
Use a scaling factor in the timings to allow you to change the rate of an animation (one per animation).. here's something quickly put together to demonstrate :-

SuperStrict

Type TAnim
	Field frame:Int
	Field ms:Float
	Field image:TImage
	Field rate:Float

Method Draw()
		DrawImage image,100,100,frame
	EndMethod

Method Update()
		Local diff:Float = MilliSecs() - ms
		diff = diff * rate
		If( diff > 200 )
			frame = 1 - frame
			ms = MilliSecs()
		EndIf
	EndMethod
EndType	

Graphics 800,600

Global anim:TAnim = New TAnim
anim.frame = 0
anim.image = CreateImage(100,100,2, DYNAMICIMAGE)
anim.ms = MilliSecs()
anim.rate	= 1.0

Cls
DrawOval 0,0,100,100
GrabImage(anim.image,0,0,0)
Cls
DrawRect 0,0,100,100
GrabImage(anim.image,0,0,1)

While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)
	Cls
	anim.Draw()
	anim.Update()

DrawText "Press cursor left/right to change animation speed", 20, 10
	DrawText "Anim rate  = " + anim.rate, 20,30
	DrawText "Anim frame = " + anim.frame, 20,50

Flip

If KeyDown(KEY_LEFT) And anim.rate > 0.1
		anim.rate = anim.rate - 0.01
	EndIf

If KeyDown(KEY_RIGHT) And anim.rate < 5.0
		anim.rate = anim.rate + 0.01
	EndIf

Wend

IKG(Posted 2006) [#6]
@ GFK: My bad.. meant to say Blitzplus.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
I wouldn't use Millisecs() in this way unless you implement code for when Millisecs() changes from a positive to negative value. If you don't do this, then your game will almost certainly crash. Fair enough it'll only happen once every 25 days or so of uptime, but its still sloppy practice.

Um... as far as I'm aware, Timer.Ticks() isn't even correct syntax for Blitzplus. Rest assured it works in Blitzmax though.

You can also reset a timer's tick counter by using Timer._ticks = 0. (note the underscore).

Brendane(Posted 2006) [#8]
Agreed. Sloppy use of millisecs was for demonstrating the scaling factor only - you need to handle the wraparound in a real-world app.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#9]
What is Timer.Ticks() from then? A module or something? It doesn't work when I use it and I can't find it anywhere in the BlitzMax wiki.

Edit: Nevermind lol. Just had to remove the "."

Didn't work anyway.

amonite(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hi,

maybe:

global yourTime%, yourDelay%=48
If MilliSecs() > yourTime + yourDelay
	yourTime = MilliSecs()
	YourFrame:+1
EndIf 

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#11]
@IKG, timer.ticks() is a TTimer method rather than timerticks(timer) which is the function.
How did it not work?
Anyway, you might want to use Brendane's method.

BladeRunner(Posted 2006) [#12]
use millisecs()&$7fffffff and there won't be a problem with the jumping counter from positive to negative values.

Tom Darby(Posted 2006) [#13]
...the great thing about using a scaling factor is that you can easily apply it to audio rates, too...

IKG(Posted 2006) [#14]
Alright guys, I'm sorry but I really don't understand what most of you are saying. For something posted in the beginner section, you sure do use a lot of terms I'm not yet familiar with. Not to mention all the code examples I'm given which I can't understand. I feel like I should take another break from the forums and come back when I feel less stupid trying to fit in here.

@ Benyboy: I'll have to try that later when I get the chance. Thanks.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#15]
IKG, which terms are you unfamiliar with?
Anyway here is some commented code which displays a simple 3 cell animation (I use an animimage with 3 different coloured rectangles each 32*32 in size)

Written quite a while ago so might be clunky but should give an idea.

IKG(Posted 2006) [#16]
Actually, I can't believe I didn't think of making those "fake" timers like I use to do in B3D. All I had to do is take a quick look at your example; thanks tony :)

And for the rest of you that also contributed, thanks also. Although I still think I should take a break and come back later when I know more.