Gui & console app combined

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Gui & console app combined

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#1]
first of all, I have BlitzMax + MaxGUI.

I know that you can choose to make a GUI app or a console app with BlitzMax, but... is it at all possible to combine these two behaviours into a single application?

e.g. have an application that when launched from an icon opens a GUI window, but when started from the command line skips that and just uses the current console for its output? (not open a new console window)

I guess that you can probably get that effect by using a command line parameter in a windows shortcut icon to tell the app if it got launched that way, but it would be preferable if it wasn't necesary to make special icon first.

The application I made is a little WhoIs utility. It works great in command-line mode now, but I'd like to have a GUI option as well, if at all possible using just a single binary.

(So far it recognizes 110 different TLD's, as well as ARIN/APNIC/RIPE IP block delegations... Now if only I could figure out how to get a valid response from the .NL registry, they are different from everyone else it seems)

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think you might be best off sticking a "whois.exe /gui" command on the icon..
I don't know if there's a way to determnine if the program has been launched by commandline or desktop though..