'Flip 1' vs 'Flip -1'

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/'Flip 1' vs 'Flip -1'

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#1]
Can someone please explain the difference of Flip 1 and Flip -1 to me? Does using either of those commands mean that your program is vsynced?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
Flip 1 means hardware sync (if available) and is my preference. Flip -1 means software timing, so if you set your game graphics Hz to be 60 then the BMax times the flips to be in time with that, which will be regular but may not look as lush as a pure Vysnc (although it looks fine on my PC as if it is VSyncing...perhaps it is). If Flip 1 can't Vync I believe it uses the same method as Flip -1 (according to Mark). OK I think that's it, but I'm willing to be corrected.

One more thing, in windowed mode Flip 1 will give a nice display but Flip-1 will not, it will show tearing but be in time.

Of course Flip 0 means no VSync AND no timing so is only good if a) you want to test max framerate or b) you have your own timing code in place, and don't mind vertical tearing.

Hope this hasn't confused you more.

Bukky(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hey GA,

Thanks for the quick response! The reason I asked is because I am putting the finishing touches on a new puzzle game, and I am trying to get rid of an annoying flicker that I sometimes get on my blocks if I click out of the game window and then click back on it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
Perhaps that's to do with the timing system you are using? Or maybe you just need Flip 1.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#5]
I use Flip 0 and my own timing code.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
yuk, what about vertical tearing?

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#7]
I recently swapped from Flip 1 to Flip 0, none of my code is specificly there to track VSyncs but it wouldnt surprise me if my animation system timer didnt do it as a side affect

None of my alpha testers (and there are quite a lot of them, and they pick out some very very obscure things) noticed the change

Warren(Posted 2006) [#8]
In practice, I hardly ever find tearing to be a real problem. It's a very nerd-centric problem. End users don't know what it is and don't really care, IMO.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#9]
In practice, I hardly ever find tearing to be a real problem. It's a very nerd-centric problem. End users don't know what it is and don't really care, IMO.

They may not know what it's called, but it does look sloppy... Depending on the speed of your PC and video adapter, it can look *very* visually distracting.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#10]
To hardcore gamers. I agree that people who are into tech and into computers know about that and care. People like my Dad don't care if the screen is "tearing" a little. It's irrelevant to him as long as he's having fun.

Omni(Posted 2006) [#11]
It sometimes really ruins a game though. I remember taking note of it on some games when I was rather young without knowing what it was called. I don't think you have to be tech savvy to have a distaste for how something looks. Just throwing another opinion into the fire.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
yeah on say a 2D scrolling game it stinks. It's less noticeable on 3D, but I don't even like it on FPS games. I come from a silky smooth Amiga, C64, Console background so can't stand the impurity of it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#13]
I totally agree with Grey.

Silky smooth and tear free gives a game a much more professional feel.