Getting a filename to use in error loading

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Getting a filename to use in error loading

Blitzogger(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have the following code:

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Fuction CreateObject
' Creates the Game Object
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	Function CreateObject(Obj:TGameObject, Image:TImage, New_X_Start_Position:Int,New_Y_Start_Position:Int, New_Scale:Float=1.0)

Obj.X_Start_Position = New_X_Start_Position
        Obj.y_start_position = New_Y_Start_Position
        Obj.X_Scale = New_Scale
        Obj.Y_Scale = New_Scale
        Obj.Image = Image

If Obj.Image=Null
           Print "Not able to load image file. Program aborting"
           End
       EndIf

Obj.Reset()

ListAddLast GameObjects, Obj 
	End Function

I would like to change it so instead of the static message "Not able to load image file. Program aborting" printing out when the image doesn't excist, i would like it to print "Not able to load image file filename_here. Program aborting". I have tried the following code to no avail

' Fuction CreateObject
' Creates the Game Object
	Function CreateObject(Obj:TGameObject, Image:TImage, New_X_Start_Position:Int,New_Y_Start_Position:Int, New_Scale:Float=1.0)

Obj.X_Start_Position = New_X_Start_Position
        Obj.y_start_position = New_Y_Start_Position
        Obj.X_Scale = New_Scale
        Obj.Y_Scale = New_Scale
        Obj.Image = Image

If Obj.Image=Null
           Print "Not able to load image file " + String(Obj.Image) + ".Program aborting"
           End
       EndIf

Obj.Reset()

ListAddLast GameObjects, Obj 
	End Function

Any ideas?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well, why not post the error were you load the image? Cos then you would have its name.

Blitzogger(Posted 2006) [#3]
because you need to use
object.create(loadimage("filename"), x_start_position, y_start_position, scale)

as you can see i call loadimage outside of the create function as a parameter. I don't see how i can do that.

GameEngine uses TGameEngine.Create(loadimage("background.png")) to load the background image.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
In fact how silly do you think it is to check that an image is NULL THEN try to use it "String(Obj.Image)"

object.create(loadimage("filename"), x_start_position, y_start_position, scale)
see that "FileName", you could print that

Blitzogger(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, then i truely am stumped. Since Image will be null, there is nothing to gather from what i see. filename is a string and not a variable, so i can't use that.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#6]
I must be missing something.
Don't pass the function a loadimage command. Instead load the image, test the result, display any messages and then call CreateObject with the resulting TImage.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#7]
@ tony
you can see He calls loadimage outside of the create function as a parameter. He doesnt see how he can check the file then

I mean he couldnt possibly just pass the image name could he, and then load it in.
And because filename is a string and not a variable, he cannot print it

(Ive given up)

Blitzogger(Posted 2006) [#8]
So my guess is it can't be done.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
Space, yes thats right it is imposible to get the name of a file, from an image that is NULL

Pass the filename to create and load the file inside the function, then check to see is its null, whilst you still have the file name

(And yes I am shouting)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
Space Xscape, does this not do what you want?
Graphics 640 , 480
filename:String="max.png"
Local image:TImage = LoadImage(filename)
If image 
	Notify "File " + filename + " found"
Else 
	Notify "File " + filename + " NOT found"

Blitzogger(Posted 2006) [#11]
nevermind i fixed it.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#12]
Because your TGameEngine.Create is asking for a TImage and you're passing it a string.
Changes:
	Function Create:TGameEngine(filename:string)
        Local GameEngine:TGameEngine = New TGameEngine
        CreateObject(GameEngine, filename, 0, 0, 1.0)
        Return GameEngine
    End Function

H&K(Posted 2006) [#13]
the Ide highlights a line, just post that line