WHy was my post deleted.... Scanning Directory

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/WHy was my post deleted.... Scanning Directory

ckob(Posted 2006) [#1]
I am not sure why it was deleted but I'll post it again....

I am trying to get a list of a directory and all its sub directories and get the files in each sub directory. I am using

dir=ReadDir(CurrentDir())

If Not dir RuntimeError "failed to read current directory"

Repeat

t$=NextFile( dir )

If FileType(t) = 2 Then

Print t

ElseIf FileType(t) = 1 Then

Print t

ElseIf FileType(t) = 0 Then
		Exit	

EndIf

Forever

CloseDir dir

End

But for some reason it isnt giving me the sub directories any help is appreciated thanks.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well it gives the subdirectories on mine. It doesnt "scan" the subdirectories, but the you havent any code to do that, so you probably know that already.

You want to make it a function containing your repeat loop, that accepts a "dir handle" as its paramater (dir in you example), (Or just pass the path).
Then when you find a subdirectory, (pass the path or), Make it current, and pass that handle to itself. If you keep a Global in the function which keeps a track of how "deep" you are, you can print a tab indent as well

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
LOOKS LIKE THERE WAS A PROBLEM LAST NIGHT - LOOKS LIKE A FEW HOURS OF POSTS HAVE BEEN LOST.

Retro(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yeah, I noticed that too.
Or maybe we're experiencing some weird temporal anomaly.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#5]
Aliens!

Mordax_Praetorian(Posted 2006) [#6]
Damnit, it actualy comes to a problem that I can help someone fix, and the post is deleted, grr

Basicly, you never tell it to scan sub directories, this is what makes a Programming Language a Programming Language, rather than a Scripting Language, there is no automatic, you do everything yourself

Think about what would happen if this code did scan sub directories, where would that leave people who only did want the first layer? Automatic creates limitations, so get used to doing it yourself

Now then, what you would need to make this automaticly scan sub directories would be a list containing all the names you found in the folder, once you finish scanning layer1, you go back through the list and scan every name in the list as well, and so on and so forth until there are no layers left to scan

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#7]
Why was it deleted?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63502

ckob(Posted 2006) [#8]
sorry didnt see that.

Nurgle(Posted 2006) [#9]
FileList("C:\windows",True)

Function FileList(Folder:String,Recurse:Int)

Local ThisFolder:Int = ReadDir(Folder)

If ThisFolder

Repeat

Local File:String = NextFile(ThisFolder)

If Len(File)

Select FileType(Folder + "\" + File)

Case 1

Print Folder + "\" + File

Case 2

Select File

Case ".",".."

If Recurse Then FileList(Folder + "\" + File,Recurse)
						End Select

End Select

Else

Exit

End If

Forever

CloseDir ThisFolder

End If

End Function