Is there a better IDE

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Is there a better IDE

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#1]
Im using visual blitz for b3d, i love it, its fantastic its everything i want in a IDE, 200% worth the E12.00
However,

The one in bmax is not. Copy paste doesnt work properly, replace brings up blank boxes, Select drag doesnt work, no code folding, project management is not that great, moan moan moan

Are there any alternatives?

sorry to be a moaner :P

cloned(Posted 2006) [#2]
check the tool box, there is bound to be some there

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#3]
There is no IDE wich compares to VisualBlitz... I'm still
searching for something like that too. BLide is a good IDE
but has to much functions for me. I like my IDEs small and
fast. Try the Comunity-Version of the BMax-IDE, it is a bit
better then the original one, but has some bugs too.

cheers

simesf(Posted 2006) [#4]
http://www.2dgamecreators.com/blitzmax/resources/

Try here. It's a list of resources maintained by Assari which gives amongst other things a list of IDE's.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
has to much functions for me

Well dont use them then

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
I really want to love Blide. It's a bit like Protean in that you can disable most of what you don't want. Every time it comes out with a new version, I try it and love it. Then I try to use it for serious work and it promptly mangles an important file with no obvious pattern so nothing I can report as a bug, and I decide that it's just not worth it if it's going to mangle important files.

What with that and BMax's copy and paste ( which contrary to my initial impressions isn't fixed ) I end up coding in wordpad half the time :/

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#7]
i dont really like the default ide..but it works ;) + beats
using the cli to execute the compiler..then again, im not
doing anything major..so im not going to suffer the same
headaches as folks like gab, who seem to be tinkering away
with some fairly large projects..

er..seems im starting to post stuff for the hell of it :/ ;)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#8]
I like BlIDE simply for the ability to collapse function trees and loops.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#9]
@Gabriel: Can you give me some extra information about your 'mangled' files in BLIde? It is very strange, nobody has reported this before. (appart from the unicode issue that was solved in version 0.5.3)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#10]
Has anyone got blitzmax working/compiling within XCode?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
@Gabriel: Can you give me some extra information about your 'mangled' files in BLIde? It is very strange, nobody has reported this before. (appart from the unicode issue that was solved in version 0.5.3)

Not very much, I'm afraid. Wish I could. It's happened a few times, with versions from months ago and the latest version. I'm just typing away in the middle of a large source file ( a few thousand lines ) and suddenly what I'm typing is appearing on a completely different line, and it's overwriting the code which was already on that line.

So I immediately start "undo"'ing it, because that will put it back, right? Except it doesn't. When I start undoing ( or deleting for that matter ) it starts overwriting something I'm not even typing and now it's happening on a completely different line again, and it's overwriting more of my code.

It's not far off the bugs I've found in Blitz official IDE's over the years. Are you by any chance using the same rich edit box ( or whatever it's called ) as they are? If so, that might be the culprit, and it might be nothing to do with your code. If not, I don't have a clue.

It doesn't happen when working with small source files, it's only when I get into my long source files and serious work.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#12]
sure does begin to look like a windows error.. :p

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#13]
I will make some tests with very large files (12,000 lines will be enought?) to see if I can reproduce this, and see a way to fix it. I think it can be a problem with the GDI+ (I've noticed this is kind of issues are happening spetialy to people using AMD processors, but I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence). I will make an update with this things 'solved' as soon as I find a way to correct a GDI+ problem under winows.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2006) [#14]
I've seen the same as Gabriel, but it happens in the Standard and Community Versions of MaxIDE for me.

Looks like it's a Windows problem.

ps: I rarely have files of over 500 lines, but it still happens. There is also a small memory leak in the Rich Edit box. It only becomes appearant If I have had MaXIDE running for more than a day or 2 and opened/closed a lot of files.

The Rich Edit box becomes noticably slower the more files you open in it. And it's taking the entire OS down with it as far as performance goes. I have found MaxIDE using up to 1.2GB's of system memory at one time and using 90% of the CPU. Nowadays I usually just close-reopen the IDE on a regular basis, so it doesn;t happen anymore.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#15]
[ignore me!] - i dont know what im talking about, but whatever it is..its probably a lie ;)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#16]
Ive had the same as Gabriel, as he said you cannot reproduce it, and the undo Stack gets messed up as well.

However ,(which I said at length, but it was deleted in the fault yestrday) I just keep an eye on the code. Ive never lost more code than I could remember, and so just retyped it in.

I think this is obviously a fault that needs fixing. And for someone like Gab, then Notepad might be a good alternative. But I am really rubish at remembering commands and function names and stuff, and so the member access popup makes this problem unimportant. That is the benifit in time I get from using Blide more than makes up for any "small" editor problems. (I probably save more often as well)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#17]
I think it is a windows issue (All the IDEs you're mentioning use the RichTextControl as a base class) In BLIde, I'm using a self-made control, wich extends the RichTextControl of microsoft

EDIT: I think I've found a solution for BLIde, I will make a new release as soon as possible. I would like the ones having this issues to test it. I'll make you know any progress with this issue

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2006) [#18]
Visual Blitz was great, but for Max I've been using UltraEdit as it has always been my fave editor. The latest version allows for code folding and I've integrated a few other things into it as well.

I did start writing up some instructions on how to set it up but never got round to finishing it. However, if there is any one that is interested, I'm sure I could be persuaded to finish it ;-)

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#19]
*LarsG persuades Ghost Dancer*

:p

anyways.. the more choices we have, the better.. :)

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2006) [#20]
Someone just pointed me to this website:

http://www.eiksoft.com/ueindex.htm

Who seems to have done a better job than me - Cheers Eikon :)

gman(Posted 2006) [#21]
matt smith is working on one that is very promising:

http://www.projectstudioide.com/

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#22]
Thanks, Blide is wicked, just what i was after. Would be even better if i could turn off the fold everything. Folding functions is all i want, but cant complain, this is 1000000000 times better than the old one.

Now to find on for my linux box..... hmmm

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#23]
D-Grafix: You can turn off it, in the preferences dialog.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#24]
Hmmm, I've been happy with the CE IDE, but judging from the positive feedbacl Blide is receiving I'm going to have to check it out.....

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#25]
Blide is king.