BmaxIDE: highlight color?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BmaxIDE: highlight color?

eindbaas(Posted 2006) [#1]
Is there a way to change the color of highlighted text in the BMax IDE? I kinda like the default blue background, but the highlighted text is nearly invisible.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#2]
Nope. I've brought this up several times in the past before, never got any response from BRL.

Depending on the active gamma settings on my computer, it is anywhere between hard-to-see and completely imperceptible... Which is extremely annoying, especially if you have a program that fails on a specific command, and you can't see WHERE it actually failed.

eindbaas(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hmmm, strange. It's the absolutely first thing that annoyed me about the IDE - i just can't see text that i highlight.

And talking about UI: am i the only one that gets confused with the use of the ctrl-keys? normally, i skip around through words while holding a ctrl-key, but in the Bmax IDE you switch through the currently opened files. strangely, the skip-though-words-while-selecting method (ctrl+shift+cursor) *does* work. would be nice to see that in the IDE, it makes manoeuvring through the code so much faster. and for switching opened files a ctrl+tab

but hey, what am i complaining. i'm having A LOT of fun with my recently boughed copy of Bmax :)

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
www.blide.org

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
And talking about UI: am i the only one that gets confused with the use of the ctrl-keys? normally, i skip around through words while holding a ctrl-key, but in the Bmax IDE you switch through the currently opened files. strangely, the skip-though-words-while-selecting method (ctrl+shift+cursor) *does* work. would be nice to see that in the IDE, it makes manoeuvring through the code so much faster. and for switching opened files a ctrl+tab

Nope, drives me nuts too. Has been brought up numerous times, but nothing but silence from BRL.
Similar to that, the last update broke the standard CTRL-F4 to close a tab in the IDE.

However, if you have the MaxGUI module, you can manually fix the CTRL issue yourself (although it will more than likely be broken again by the next update which overwrites the IDE again)

Per Pertubatio's findings:

rfeplace lines 4935 and 4936 in Maxide.bmx with the following:
CreateMenu "&Next File",MENUNEXT,file,KEY_TAB,MENUMOD
CreateMenu "&Previous File",MENUPREV,file,KEY_TAB,MENUMOD|MODIFIER_SHIFT

and recompile...

If anyone knows where the shortcut is for closing the tabs (used to be CTRL-F4, now replaced by CTRL-W), I'd appreciate it.

eindbaas(Posted 2006) [#6]
hmmm, i don't have MaxGUI so i think i'll check out Blide. Is it as good as it looks?

GfK(Posted 2006) [#7]
i'll check out Blide. Is it as good as it looks?
Yes. Its becoming more widely used, and with that, BLIde itself improves.

Its also free.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#8]
I dont know why its taken so long for the PC Bmax users to switch to Blide, its been better than the real one for ages.

But its not FREE. You just dont have to pay anything if you dont want to

Yan(Posted 2006) [#9]
Isn't the highlight colour a standard windows thang?

You can change it in 'Display Properties>Appearances>Advanced'

eindbaas(Posted 2006) [#10]

Damn, you're right! Strange thing to set that color globally, but hey...it does work.

I'd still like to try Blide though, and i'm being asked to install MS .NET. i'm asking this next question for a cousin of my neighbor's friend: will that cause any troubles for illegal windows-versions?

eindbaas(Posted 2006) [#11]

seems like that specific color is quite a widely-used one. My selected icons in win-explorer look funny, the box when alt-tabbing uses it and even the progressbar in firefox! :)