Process Already running

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Process Already running

degac(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm sorry, but I cant' find if there is a *real* problem for others.
A user tell me that my game runs perfectly, but it has only a 'little' problem. Once he quits the game and then he trys to restart it, nothing happens, Windows says that 'The process is already running' or something.
The user has checked with this utility The Ultimate Troubleshooter http://www.answersthatwork.com/, and he found that the process is still running. He claims to run on Windows XP Home 'plain' (I presume this mean no service pack installed, I'm waiting an email to confirm this).
I have - unfortunately - no other informations about the users' configuration, I can say only that on my machine, from XP home to XP pro (all with SP2), and even on a ME, everything is ok, no processes running.
Someone can tell me if there is a 'real' problem or a solution (maybe install service pack...)

PS: I can 'trust' the user because he asked me the game for a review...

I found all the strange problems of the universe lately...

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
This sounds like you use MaxGUI and try to end the game by closing the window instead of calling end.

We as well found out that that DX Canvas problems seemed to have jumped over to nonMaxGUI. If you start your game in windowed mode and call endgraphics, it won't do anything.

You either need to restart the app or use OpenGL driver.

Don't know if one of those 2 is the reason as I can start as many BM app copies as I want ...

And having SP2 installed if it is WinXP is something I assume as base requirement to have the right to connect to INet at all.

degac(Posted 2006) [#3]
thanks

I have MaxGUI, but it's not used in the game.
I'm using DirectX (on some old machine OpenGL are ...crappy!), but if it is a problem with EndGraphics() or running in window mode I should have the problem on my computers too.
I think it is a problem not related with Bmax...

BTW: EndGraphics() works or not? I dont' understand what you say
Thanks for the collaboration

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
EndGraphics with BM 1.20 and actual sync mod does not do anything with DX drivers. The graphics window isn't closed and if you open a new one through graphics you will end with 2 windows instead of only the new one ... no idea whats going on there.

Yes theoretically you should.
The only other thing that comes up to my mind is that he has an modern CPU, WinXP SP2 and enabled NX / DEP support on his CPU.
I've disabled that on mine for reasons like that (apps that are not DEP compatible like B3D was till it was patched to be for example) But I don't know if this can cause such problems :-(

degac(Posted 2006) [#5]

EndGraphics with BM 1.20 and actual sync mod does not do anything with DX drivers. The graphics window isn't closed and if you open a new one through graphics you will end with 2 windows instead of only the new one ... no idea whats going on there.

I think this bug was fixed, I remember perfectly because I post a little prog to Skidracer in the bugs forum, see this http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=60485#674752

Maybe it's a problem due to my bad programming skills, some file handler not closed...

[edit] Oh damn! The 'old' (for me) problem is still here!

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
I syncmod once a day so I'm quite sure that sadly, this problem is not fixed. How should it ... it seems like one of the last DX canvas problems introduced it sadly, as calling endgraphics worked for me normally.