My .exe is not working anymore...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/My .exe is not working anymore...

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok I recently have not been able to run my .exe's made with blitzmax, it gives the "failed attempt to access the field of a null object or method" screen. I think I may have deleted some components in winXP. I know it's vague, but it's not DirectX any possible leads or components missing that may cause this sudden problem? This was a game that I have not changed anything on.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Sounds more like you moved the exe or moved an image/sound.
This most commonly happens if absolute paths (c:\....\...\myimage.jpg and the like) are used instead of relatives (same folder as .bmx or in a subfolder to the bmx)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
Dreamora is probably right. You can check for missing dlls using 'Dependency Walker' a nifty free and easy to use piece of software. Google will turn it up.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#4]
Another tool to troubleshoot:

filemonnt from www.sysinternals.com

It can track and file open/close operation going on in windows, so you can see exactly which files are attempting to open and fail.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ok I used the Dependancy walker and I'm missing:
EFSADU.dll
MSJAVA.dll

does anyone have an idea of what these are and how to obtain them? Also If someone could do a search and tell me where to put them that would be very helpful.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#6]
efsadu.dll goes in C:\WINNT\system32 and is to do with encryption of files. Get it off another computer or net search it.

You'll probably get away without MSJAVA

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#7]
OK I now have both dlls in. I still can't run ANY blitzmax related programs including the demo games with the compiler. I hope this get resolved. I can't even make a simple window without it crashing.
It now says: Unhandled Exception:CreateDevice Failed result=-2147024882

grable(Posted 2006) [#8]
That seems to be a DirectX error if im not mistaken, either a falty dx install or a driver issue, try using the OpenGL driver and see if it hangs aswell.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#9]
What do I need to configure? I don't mess with my setings much so I don't know alot about them.

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#10]
This is all done in your code..nothing to do with system
settings..i think bmax defaults to dx on windows platforms,
so you need to explicitly call driver setting functions before
creating display objects [if you want to make use of GL]..

compile not configure :] ;)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#11]
setgraphiscdriver glmax2ddriver()

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#12]
Thank you so much for your help. When i set the graphics driver as you said it runs, however if i use the default one it causes the same error message. I would appreciate your further guidance.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#13]
Install the latest version of DirectX and the latest driver for your video card and maybe even remove the monitor driver.

What exactly leads you to believe you may have deleted some components in WindowsXP??? If I was you I would reinstall the entire operating system if I suspected any system files had been tampered with...

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#14]
I just reinstalled XP so everything is running well again no worries. Thanks for your time.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#15]
...sorry to revive this thread but my program now freezes before it even gets to the title screen. I'm using the BLIde compiler and it gets to the linking phase and just starts leaking memory like crazy. I simply get a black screen and no warning messages. I have not changed my code any since I reinstalled XP. If I take out my sound commands the game will run however. I'm using .ogg files for the music and sounds. Sorry to revive this old thread but it's REALLY bothering me. I gave a friend a copy of the source and external files and it DID work for him.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#16]
Blide is an editor/ide not a compiler.

Try turning quick build off.

Is this a fresh install of BlitzMax also?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#17]
I have tried turning that off, no luck.
Also it will not work on the default ide.
I'm afraid I don't know much about computers, I just love to program.

Here is the file( please don't steal the sounds ect.)
http://exoload.net/uploads/806/1155267081.zip

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#18]
Cool game! No problems compiling it here from the standard IDE.

I take it you have verified your computer is now virus free.

What kind of computer / soundcard do you have?

There was a problem with the ogg library many moons ago that could have caused such behavior, if you could also verify you are using v1.20 of blitzmax by going About BlitzMax from the MaxIDE Help menu.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#19]
Thanks for the nice comment regarding the game.
I checked the version like you said, and I had the original version somehow... :(
(I have a Compaq Presario, worked hard to scrape the funds together too.)
I guess when i reinstalled windows XP, all the updates were lost. I'll be updating and reconfiguring all of my programs for weeks it would appear. Thanks for your assistance in this matter, hopefully this thread can join it's dated brethren.

Happy Programming.