Cross Platform considerations

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Cross Platform considerations

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just wondering if there are a common grouping of concerns that should be kept in mind when designing a cross platform program.

I know endianness is an issue, but does BMax automatically take care of that issue when you recompile your program on a different platform. I'm assuming it does - so if I save a bank it'll be saved in little-endian on my PC and if I compiled a mac version it'd save it big-endian. Not sure, though.

The only other thing I know about for sure is to use forward slashes when specifying a file path.

What are some other key issues to keep in mind? I'd like to take a pre-emptive strike so that the process is as painless as possible.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not much to say.... except that poor sound support, using built-in libraries is fine.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#3]
http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Cross_Platform_Issues

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#4]

On Windows, both backslash (\) and forward slash (/) can be used interchangeably to denote directory structure. However, on Mac and Linux, only a forward slash is accepted by the filesystem as a valid directory separator. Therefore you should always use forward slashes (/) in paths.

Actually, BlitzMax automatically formats paths to use only forward slashes.