Question about Lists

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Question about Lists

Josepho(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi i have a question about lists, how can i know the value on a position on the list?

For example if i have a list with 10 objects and i want to know the value on the fiith value how can i make it?

And if i have a list of types created by me, how can i, knowing the tlinks of diferent values of the list, use his values.

I tryed TlinkAux.Value() but it doesnt let me use the methods of my type :/

Jake L.(Posted 2006) [#2]
Value stores objects of type "object", so you have to typecast to your type before using Fields/Method of your type:

firstentry:mytype=mytype(mytypelist.FirstLink().Value())

To get an element by "index", you have to enumerate through the list for n elements. At least I know no other method to achieve this.

Josepho(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thank you jake! :D

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#4]
..or use an array of those objects. Add a new object to your array (your list, in a way) using slices.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
As you probalby know, all User types are derived from the base object called "Object". (Talk about nameing policy)

When you make a list it doesnt matter what you said you are storing in it. You are storing the "object".

So when it comes to access the objects fileds and stuff, you need to "cast" the object back to what it originaly was.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
Try this as well:

' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
' ccListIndex
' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Function ccListIndex%(list:TList, value:Object Var)
	'Loop through a list and return the index of the matching object.
	Local index = 0
	For Local o:Object = EachIn list
		If o = value Then Return index
		index:+1
	Next
	'No match
	Return -1
End Function