Intel Mac Compile Errors & Cant run Debug mode

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Intel Mac Compile Errors & Cant run Debug mode

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#1]
I recently got given an Intel Mac at work, and when a problem arose I thought I could easily solve with Blitz I decided to give the demo another try. (Although I hate coding on Macs!).

I eagerly downloaded XTools 2.3 and installed it all, and fixed drive permissions (in single user mode with fsck), then I wrote a few simple lines and test compiled.

With the program
print "Hello World"

I get the runtime error
Compile Error
no such 386 instruction: `mlfr'

The editor opens up the document "untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s" which looks like a load of assembly code, and the output window has reams and reams of errors like,
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:158:no such 386 instruction: `mflr'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:159:no such 386 instruction: `stmw'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:160:no such 386 instruction: `stw'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:161:no such 386 instruction: `stwu'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:162:no such 386 instruction: `lis'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:163:no such 386 instruction: `ori'
/Applications/BlitzMaxDemo/tmp/.bmx/untitled1.bmx.console.debug.macos.s:164:no such 386 instruction: `lwz'

which goes on for pages and pages. So not to be outdone I wrote a little itsy witsy application on a PowerPC Mac and compiled it, but when I ran it on the Intel iMac I got this output from the Terminal window,

2006-07-11 13:28:19.457 AddressSync[359] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn
2006-07-11 13:28:19.463 AddressSync[359] CFLog (21): dyld returns 2 when trying to load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn
Bus error
logout
[Process completed]

Yet the Intel Mac runs an application I wrote ages ago on the first demo version absolutely fine, I notice that when doing an apple-i to get file info my old application is described as:

Kind: Application (PowerPC)

but the new one (compiled on a PowerPC Mac) is described as:

Kind: Unix Executeable File (PowerPC)

Is this because it is in debug mode? To be honest, does debug mode work on an Intel iMac?

I see Intel Mac users are working with BMax fine and some clever sods have worked out how to make Universal binaries which is great - but I need to know the thing will solve the problem before I ask my boss to fork out £99.

PS: I pressume that when compiling on the full version the terminal window wont open?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
The terminal window is something you can enable and disable. See in the menu under building options and tick "GUI App" which disables the console.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#3]
Disabling the GUI App doesnt disable the terminal window for me but i'm just using the demo at the moment, so I guess the demo only compiles in debug mode.

However If I cant get it to compile on an Intel Mac there'll be no point buying Bmax anyway.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#4]
The release notes say...
BlitzMax now generates native x86 code on Intel Macs! The tools in 'bin' (compiler, linker etc) are still distributed as PowerPC apps, and rely on Rosetta (Intel Mac PPC emulation layer) to work. They run surprisingly well, but you may want to have a go at recompiling some of these - esp. MaxIDE - for improved performance. Universal binaries and/or cross compiling not yet supported.

Important note: before using the Intel Mac version, you will need to perform a 'rebuild all modules'. This will probably result in several C compiler warnings which you can ignore.
Dunno if that still applies (or is relevant to the demo)?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#5]
I imagine the demo is PPC only (can't imagine they've got around to compiling an Intel version of it yet).

I expect that PPC max tries to get intel-XCode to compile up some PPC assembler and it borks.
The reason pre-compiled apps work fine are because of the Rosetta emulator.

Since you seem to be using max already, couldn't you just download the latest full-version intel-Max and try that?

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'm not on the full version, I tried the demo ages ago and didn't like it, but now there's this new demo and this new technology and I thought i'd have another go.

The rebuild all modules sounds like the right solution. Unfortunately this feature is disabled in the demo ! /shrug

If this is the of the problem then i'm not confident enough to make a purchase. I still get the fealing it's an internet released application that just isn't ready - like most. That's what demo's are supposed to reassure, and this one doesnt :/.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
The demo is for PowerPC based OSX, not Intel based ...
The are still too young after all (not even half a year) ...

There have been some tests of a new Intel based BM build lately (searched for it, but can't find it anymore) instead of relying on the rosetta emulation and some tricks / hacks to get the module building work.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#8]
The demo should run fine on all Macs, will test.

Googling AppleHDAHALPlugIn seems to show Apple has stuffed something up with the latest intel 10.4.7 update which breaks a lot of apps and is probably why the BlitzMax demo is not working either.

Will test but hopefully there will be a new update from them in next few days that fixes this issue.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#9]
Not sure on that skid, I just googled it and there's only half a dozen pages so far. Usually after each update 200 or more people complain that the latest update is naff and broke their computer ... usually it's because of some inherrent problem in their system that was exasperated by the update.

Thanks for looking into it though, i'll await your reply.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#10]
worth a shot:

http://www.apcstart.com/site/tgaden/2006/07/563/do-you-need-to-update-to-os-x-1047-again

the intel mac here seems to have gone home with sibly so won't be able to help for another few days sorry.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yup thats sorted, i'm suprised they didn't put the fix into the auto updater though - that's outrageous - but very typically Apple...