Little exe problem

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Little exe problem

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#1]
I am executing (or at least trying to) a B3D exe from my BMax app. It works fine in debug mode, but when I try to execute the B3D exe from the BMax executable, BMax exe freezes to the extent I have to power down the computer (Ctrl+alt+delete does not enable task manager). My code is:-

exec$=(AppDir+"/Results_Compare.exe")
'DebugStop

'below works if debugstop left in....
Local proc:TProcess=TProcess.Create (exec$,0)'(AppDir+"/Results_Compare",0)
DebugStop		'may not be necessary if take debug off.....
'---------------------------------------

I have a couple of questions:

How do I gracefully execute the B3D app, then gracefully shutdown the BMax App?

What code can I implement that would allow Ctrl+alt+delete to start the Task Manager if the BMax exe freezes ?

Cheers...

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Freeze?
Sure its not the B3D app you did not write correctly to work side a side? This means you must write it in a way that it has delay in, otherwise it will use up all CPU power!

If you want it to work like this, then using sytem_(executablepath$) might be the better choice as it works like exefile in B3D ie it puts the BM app on halt

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#3]
T My B3D has a few 'delays' fired into it to allow the CPU to breathe, in fact I did my utmost to optimize the B3D app before resigning myself to the fact that what I was trying to achieve (in B3D) was just way to advanced
for the potential low spec computers that would be using my app.

system_(exec$) does not seem to run my b3d.exe at all ? Maybe I'm missing some syntax?

exec$=(AppDir+"/Results_Compare.exe")
'DebugStop

'DreamOra suggestion:-
system_(exec$)

DebugStop

'below worx if debugstop left in....
'Local proc:TProcess=TProcess.Create (exec$,0)'(AppDir+"/Results_Compare",0)
'DebugStop		'may not be necessary if take debug off.....