Simpler SOW

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Simpler SOW

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#1]
Can comeone give me a 'Dummies' guide on how to install SOW and get it to work with Newton/ODE?...have tried a couple of times but keep getting errors when trying to compile the demos.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
extract preserving directory structure
compile and run example1.bmx (check you have v0.41)

go on gizza clue! what errors do you get?, look specifically at ogre.log and cegui.log (ensure you initilise ogre with a logging level of LL_BOREME instead of sow_initOgre(False,LL_LOW,True)

some of the examples require you to supply an OSM, (there are still issues with the public version of oFusion)

example1.exe which shows a fair chunk of sow including using Newton should work fine

You require the jv-ode wrapper for the ode examples

I've added a bunch of new commands, so after the beta team has suffered any bugs there might be, I'll be making a new public release in the near future.

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hi Chris,

I just downloaded sow-0[1].41 and now some of the examples work...no idea why none of them worked before.

Here's what I get,

Not working
Example 3...
*-*-* OGRE Initialising
*-*-* Version 1.2.1 (Dagon)
forcing sync
Unhandled Memory Exception Error
Process complete

Example 4 and 5...
Compile Error Identifier 'initOgre' not found

I changed initOgre to sow_initOgre, the app gets further but gives the error 'Application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way' and then Compile Error 1.00 ZOrder: 0

Will have another look later today, its late and I need some zzzz's ;)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#4]
away for home atm, but from memory example 4 and 5 might be wanting an osm scene file, check ogre.log

the "compile error 1.00 ZOrder: 0" is the ide not coping too well with the fountain of spew that LL_BOREME creates!

theres a few SOW tutorials here http://chris-camacho.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=18&Itemid=28

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yep the log says

14:05:32: ********************************
14:05:32: ** oScene Loader Lib **
14:05:32: ********************************
14:05:32: oSceneLoader: Loading 'scene.osm' file
14:05:32: An exception has been thrown!

-----------------------------------
Details:
-----------------------------------
Error #: 8
Function: ResourceGroupManager::openResource
Description: Cannot locate resource scene.osm in resource group General or any other group..
File: \OgreDev\Dagon\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp
Line: 583
Stack unwinding: <<beginning of stack>>

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#6]
just provide you own OSM file and your away!

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#7]
Just noticed there's an Ogre Exporter for Gile[s] ;)

http://walaber.com/?action=showitem&id=8

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#8]
never used gile[s] any cop?

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#9]
Gile[s] is excellent, well worth a look.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#10]
gile[s] is one of the best game making apps (made in Blitz or otherwise) around. (it was written in Blitz3D, new version will be made in Bmax).

Shambler(Posted 2006) [#11]
So far with the exporter for Gile[s] I can only get the mesh to display and not the textures but with milkshape I have exported a textured mesh which loads fine in Ogre.

Going to see if there's any tech support for the Gile[s] plugin.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#12]
Note that some examples are not up to date. Missing functions/media are a surefire way to tell that is the case.

I'll take some timeout over the weekend to take a look at some of these examples :)