Rand Seed

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Rand Seed

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
Is it important to set the randseed, perhaps from the system clock so your game doesn't play the same each time?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Yes. But for error/beta playing set it to a const, so, for example the same map is generated each time

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#3]
only if you don't want your game to play the same each time. :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#4]
Whatever seed you choose it creates exactly the same sequence of random numbers every time, because basically it's just a fixed math operation changing the number each time you use it. As above, you'll want to vary it at runtime in order to get more random results, otherwise you will end up with familiar patterns, levels, etc ... anything using Rand or Rnd will give the same values unless you make it adaptive.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#5]
But for error/beta playing set it to a const, so, for example the same map is generated each time
great tip thanks.

So do you people just do this:

SeedRnd(MilliSecs())

?

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#6]
So do you people just do this:

SeedRnd(MilliSecs())

yes

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#7]
More likely I might do it more than once.

SeedRnd(Rand(0,Millisecs))

would be more random.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#8]
would be more random.

About as random I would imagine, since if millisecs was at the same amount each run through fore either of those, you will still get a repeating pattern (the chances of millisecs being at the same point are of course fairly low).

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
HAHAHAH @ Daniel
Its just as random, because for any Millisec you would STILL get the same series. (Made me laugh tho)

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#10]
Its just as random, because for any Millisec you would STILL get the same series.

No, you wouldn't get the same series, but it wouldn't be any more random.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#11]
ok, here's as good a truly random number as you're going to need:

Local s:TStream = ReadStream("http::www.random.org/cgi-bin/randnum?num=1&min=0&max=100000&col=1")
Global random_seed:Int
Global r:String
If Not s RuntimeError("failed to retrieve a random number seed")

While Not Eof(s)
	r:String = ReadLine(s)
Wend
CloseStream(s)

random_seed = r.toint()

Print random_seed
SeedRnd(random_seed)
Print Rand(0,100)
End

H&K(Posted 2006) [#12]
@Perturbatio
No, you wouldn't get the same series, but it wouldn't be any more random
SeedRnd(Rand(0,Millisecs))

Because for any Millisec you would STILL get the same series

So I was right and you were wrong ;)
(I think you thought that I ment the same series as when you didnt use this method. But I didnt ;)
I ment that for any MILLIsec you would get the same series. which suprisingly, is what I said. I was unfortunatly assuming that rand had already been set.
If Rand is not auto set on ititialization then, Ok yes so You are right and Im not

So run
Print Rnd(0,10)
A few times. If it gives the same number every time then I an right, if it gives a different number then you are right ;)