Translate Blitz3d to Blitz Max

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Translate Blitz3d to Blitz Max

GameLab(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,
I have one game in Blitz 3d and i want translate to Blitz Max to run in linux.
Its possible?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#2]
It's possible, yes, but you're not going to do it by clicking a button or running it through a code processor. BlitzMax has no native 3d, and the syntax has changed a bit anyway. Grab a 3d engine that works in Lnux, then you don't have to write a 3d engine as well, and convert it by hand and it should be fine. It's going to be quite a lot of work, but with working code on hand, it shouldn't be *too* tough.

GameLab(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ok tks..
What you think about blitz max running in linux?
Its estable?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#4]
It is and it isn't, from what I've read. Some people find it pretty solid and some don't. I'm guessing that this is more fot your own purposes than to produce a saleable product? So as long as it's stable for you, you don't mind too much about other people?

If so, it seems like BMax works pretty well on Ubuntu, from the comments I've read.

No Linux experience personally tho.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#5]
Its estable?
The problem here is that getting a list of Linux dependancies from BRL is neigh impossible, and setting BlitzMAX up correctly is pretty much a hit or miss experience, unless you already have some experience using the GCC tools.

If you do get it working correctly tho' it is noticably faster than on Windows.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
Bmx only works under ubuntu 32bit!

It it is quite some work to get it working properly.
At least for linux newbies like myself.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
Getting BM run on Linux: No problem
Getting it run with hardware support: skip it especially on ATI

On the "porting": You will have to rewrite large parts from scratch as BM is not built around the int handle thingy (its 5 to 30 times slower than type based) and all and thus needs quite some changes in the code.
As it does not have a 3D module, that part will need a complete rewrite, but at least you have the chance that you won't have to fake effects anymore as all available 3D engines for BM are DX9 with shader support :-)