Another sound question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Another sound question

lotonah(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi gang,

You have no idea how frustrating this is for a casual programmer like myself. Why doesn't Blitz have better sound commands?

What I'm trying to do is just play simple sounds, maybe two or three notes at a time. I'm not interested in loading WAV files or OGG or anything like that, I want the computer just to beep and boop on que.

Here's my code so far:

Global duration:Int=0
Global note:Int=0

Graphics 640,480,0
Playnote(0,100)
WaitKey
End

Function PlayNote(note,duration)
Local sample1:TAudioSample=CreateAudioSample( 16,13675,SF_MONO8 )
For Local k=0 Until 32
sample1.samples[k]=Sin(k*360/32)*127.5+127.5+note
Next
Local sound1:TSound=LoadSound( sample1,True )

timer=CreateTimer(20)
channel=AllocChannel()

PlaySound sound1,channel

For i=1 To duration; WaitTimer timer; Next
StopChannel channel
End Function

Basically, it works...but it sounds awful. How do I get a pure note, middle C? From there I can step backwards and forwards thru the musical scale.

Here's a formula that I found on the web: amplitude * SIN( 360 * time / period ). That's great, but I'm an idiot on some topics and implementing this is bumping up against my dummy regions.

P.S. Ultimately I'd like to create a function that works like the old Atari SOUND command (SOUND voice, pitch, distortion, loudness)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
The A below middle C has a frequency of 440Hz, you can extrapolate from there.

lotonah(Posted 2006) [#3]
Okay, I saw that somewhere else too. Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess what I'm asking for at the moment is help with the formula, to make it a pure note.

sample1.samples[k]=Sin(k*360/32)*127.5+127.5+note was lifted from the Blitzwiki, I have no idea how to change it to sound better. I've experimented for a bit, I've changed the pitch etc but it still sounds bad.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#4]
Try for k=0 to 31 - going up to 32 will introduce a small discontinuity in your sine wave. Don't add note on as a constant - you need it as a frequency multiplier inside the bracket. Use decimals in all your numbers, eg 360.0/32.0.

lotonah(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hi Nomen,

I changed K so that it's limit is 31; that got rid of a clipping sound I was hearing at the beginning.

"Note" is just a variable name, I can change it to anything.

It's sounding a bit better now, I figured out that by changing the second value in this line:

Local sample1:TAudioSample=CreateAudioSample( 16,13675,SF_MONO8 )

to something other than 13675, that changes the pitch. Now I just have to figure out what middle C is. It sure isn't 256Hz or 264Hz, 'cause those numbers don't work in this situation.

REDi(Posted 2006) [#6]
Here's something for you to be getting on with lotonah...