BMax GL vs DX

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BMax GL vs DX

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#1]
What are the pros/cons of using GL driver over DX in Bmax?
What issues appear in one driver but not the other?
Thanks

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
Seems like DX has had more problems than GL, but to list them all would be beyond me.

Some people say GL is faster, some don't.

DX is better supported on the PC than GL and something GL is broken or not installed, whereas on the Mac GL rules and probably Linux too.

DX is not cross platform at all, GL is.

GL is nicer.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#3]
I had a friend who couldn't run one of my recent DX releases (seems DirectX is messed-up on his PC), but could run the GL version fine. Fortunately it's a simple, one-line change. :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#4]
It's more than a one-line-change if you really dig into it.

Atm I stay at dx as I mostly make win32 apps.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#5]
Apparently GL vendors have to conform to a more stringent set of tests, so the renderings produced are more repeatable in GL.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#6]
Don't assume that your users have a decent openGL driver installed. They will almost always have Microsofts OpenGL driver but that's a complete waste of time.

Win32 - Go DX
Mac/Linux Go OpenGL

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
Pro GL: GL only has 1 standard so optimations for "actual" GL will make BMs GL faster as well

Con GL: There are people with no 3D card (intel, SiS, S3) that might suffer some problems and might be forced to use DX

Pro DX: nearly every one can use it

Con DX: BM uses stone age DX7. Todays driver aren't optimized for it or even get unoptimised / incompatible to it (NVidia especially) in which case OpenGL will be more than only a few FPS faster ...