Noob speed question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Noob speed question

H&K(Posted 2006) [#1]
Sorry if this question is horribly pointless, but does anyone have a "Time command takes" list

For example the speed of ^ compared to *

The reason I ask, is that when I can see two solutions to whatever I’m trying to do, I’m often making arbitrary decisions on which to use. And although it won’t make my programming any better, at least I could try to "Visualize" what would take the longest.

I know it’s a cross platform language, and each platform has a plethora of different possible speeds. But you know... if anyone has such a list I would still appreciate it. Thanks H&K

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
I was going to use ^ a while ago but loads of people said that old-style optimisation makes no difference now.

All you can really do is test it yourself by calling the same function 1000 times and timing it.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#3]
I know I "could" test it myself, but could I do it correctly. Surly if would be better all round if someone of your superior ability (Did that work ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
* is faster compared to ^2. Above that ^ is faster :-)

Most other things are thanks to GCC backlink already that high speed that they can't be inefficiently (I tried to use distance approxs to make that faster for example ... result: SQR is faster than those shl shr based approaches?!)

The only thing you MUST do is used everything type based -> declare everything with :Type instead of using Int references because the later is 5-20 times slower.

The general rule is:

Log is slowest
SQR second slowest
Then ^
Then / * +-
math ops on double / long are slowest, its faster on float and the fastest on int (lower types than that can only become slower as your CPU is 32bit as your OS and thus are normally packaged into 32bit numerics)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thaks for the general rule, but a question.

The reference to types and ints
Are you saying use
Type NInt
Field Number:Int
Endtype

Instead of using an Int. (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#6]
Using, for example, image:TImage=loadimage(blah) rather than image=loadimage(blah)is a lot quicker and is what, I believe, Dreamora is referring to.
Also, use Local variables rather than global where possible.