Simple question on MaxGUI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Simple question on MaxGUI

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm about to purchase maxgui, but I have a question.

Right now, my in-game editor (runs fullscreen) has some sliders and buttons I've made myself. They check each loop if the mouse if over them, and detect if you click it/drag it etc. Made a palette this way and such.

Would this be possible with MaxGUI, or is it only GUI for things such as installers and other windows applications?

If it's possible, I'm guessing I would also see some speed improvements, because it must be programmed on a "higher layer" or something?

René(Posted 2006) [#2]
In fullscreen you can not display MaxGUI gadgets, AFAIK. The MaxGUI module is for building native Mac OS, Linux, Windows applications.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thank you René, for a fast and precise response, guess I will stick to what I have then :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#4]
You might want to have a look at filax's IGlass Gui Module, it is very good.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#5]
René is correct about MaxGUI gadgets not working fullscreen. However, it is possible to have a borderless window the size of the desktop with a canvas covering all of that and gadgets on top of the canvas. It's not "real" fullscreen, and your graphic area size must match the desktop's, but it looks like fullscreen and it's a way to use GUI gadgets in a "pseudo-fullscreen" setting:

win:TGadget = CreateWindow( "", 0,0, GadgetWidth( Desktop() ), GadgetHeight( Desktop() ), Null, 0 )
can:TGadget = CreateCanvas( 0,0, GadgetWidth(win), GadgetHeight(win), win )
but:TGadget = CreateButton( "Quit", 10,10, 60,24, can )

SetGraphics CanvasGraphics(can)
Cls
Flip

Repeat
	WaitEvent
Until EventSource() = but
I agree with Deux about a graphical GUI (like Filax's) being useful. I used to use Yappy's XLnt GUI in Blitz3D and have been thinking about getting IGlass (now that modules don't need rebuilding with each BlitzMax update).

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#6]
It's not "real" fullscreen

errm looks like fullscreen, behaves like fullscreen, I'd say that *is* fullscreen, it covers the FULL screen....

is it somehow inferior because it doesnt reset the monitor?
tho I do wonder how it behaves in Linux and on the mac

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#7]
The only real diff is you have to use the desktop's display resolution and bit depth, whereas real fullscreen lets you choose the display mode.

Also currently on the Mac there is a bug when opening a window without WINDOW_TITLEBAR, which causes a crash. Also on the Mac you can't open a window that covers up the title bar at the top of the screen.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#8]
Editors probably shouldn't run in fullscreen anyway. IMHO.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#9]
Depends on your preference, Mr Duck. I think editors in full-screen is a very untapped niche that has several benefits.