Game theory

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Game theory

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello :)

Would anyone happen to know of a book/other source where I can read up on the mechanics behind making games? How to make collissions, what the best approaches to various things are etc. etc.

For instance with collission detection; what the best methods are and such, but also other stuff. As far as collissions, I'm currently doing a quick and dirty check with bounding boxes first, and if there's a collission, I'm using imagescollide() so it's more accurate.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#2]
There's a series of books called "Tricks of the Game-Programming Gurus" or something along those lines. They tell me that's good.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#3]
There's a great Flash book, called:

"Macromedia flash mx 2004 game design demystified"

by Jobe Makar and Ben Winiarczyk

Check it out on Amazon, it is supposed to be about £38.00 but Im sure I paid £25 or something.

Flash ActionScript is not too far removed from BMax in the main, you can convert scripts from the book, but this book does provide the maths behind all sorts of mechanics, movement, friction, gravity, collision, collision reactions, frame independent collisions and more.

They explain in a reasonably simple way (although Im stuck on a couple of things it just needs a bit of time to think them through).

It is well worth a read if you can get it from a library, there may even be a newer version more aimed at Flash 8 Pro. (There's an earlier version of the book still about too, so watch the publishing dates).

Remember too, this is only 2D no 3D maths here, so it is only appropriate (in the main) to Bmax 2D.

IPete2.

DIJ(Posted 2006) [#4]
I've got that book too, It is a great resource of info for any language. Not just Flash.
It explains Vectors and Physics in a way that makes it easy to understand too.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
Collision: Having a look at SAT (seperate axis theorem) might be a possible thing, at least in 2D.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
As "FlameDuck" says - 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus' and 'Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus' are good reads. "Andre LaMothe" is a likeable author.

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
Oh, this is an old thread.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yep!

_Skully(Posted 2006) [#9]
Game Programming Gems I, II, III, IV, & V!

http://www.gameprogramminggems.com/