First impressions of BM

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/First impressions of BM

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#1]
lol..that could be ugly if you think about it!

ANYWAY, I'm still at work so no major testing. I downloaded the demo and I will do the same at home. If I can take BM and replace my C++ engine so that I can actually get stuff done, then...well you get the picture.

So, here are the pros and cons based on 20 minutes of play:

CONS:
$80. And no, not that BM isn't worth $80. That's only a con to me because I am poor...lol

Still not convinced that BM is as fast as my ID3DXSprite-based engine. But, is it *fast enough* for my projects??

PROS:
I took a small demo provided and within 5 minutes, had giant sprites rotating with color tinting. Not bad. Took me much longer than 5 minutes to learn how to do that in C++.

Very active community. Gamedev.net is great for C++ coders. But those guys don't really get involved with 2D stuff. Plus, a lot of them are by THEIR definition "gods of code" so unless you use C++ with DirectX/OGL, you're an idiot. I don't like that mentality.

Easy easy easy. Like I said before. Using BlitzBasic (the original for PC), I did in 2 weeks what it took me months to do in C++ w/DirectX. And I only got marginal increases in speed. (not counting the alpha stuff).

Anyway, just some random thoughts for some of you newbies...I will get into some serious testing tonight.

cbmeeks

assari(Posted 2006) [#2]
Welcome on board. Suggest you download this chm version of the helpfile to make it easier to search through the commands and functions. There's also a resource link here

Good luck and enjoy BlitzMax.

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks. I'm actually a long time member... :-)

I can't wait to get home and see what this thing can do

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#4]
Welcome to the jungle.

So we will see a metroid clone written in bmx, will we? :)

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#5]
hehehe.

Well, I am thinking about it. I actually have a very nice Metroid clone (not done yet) written in BlitzPlus.

I did it in two weeks working only after work.

I am thinking about doing it in bmx...first impressions are pretty good.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hey Dude, glad to see you back!

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thanks. Good to be back.

I've been out of the loop for a while. I was so impressed with what BlitzPlus could do with my Metroid Classic engine but I got disappointed that it couldn't do the alpha/rotation stuff I wanted (in hardware).

bmx looks to be pretty good but I will know more this weekend. I tinkered with it some last night but with a 2-year old, it's hard to code sometimes.

What could help me is to find some really good scrolling routines for tiles. I monkeyed with the TileImage command it it seemed to work pretty well for simple backgrounds.

It would probably be good for parallax layers.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#8]
What could help me is to find some really good scrolling routines for tiles.
The BMax loading & routines for Tile Studio should help you.

assari(Posted 2006) [#9]
There's Scott Shavers Scrolling Tile Map Example. Also gman's mappy module

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks guys! I will check those out tonight!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#11]
Nice to see you again, cbmeeks :)

cbmeeks(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hey, thanks. Feels good to be remembered. :-)

Yeah, I will keep you guys informed as to what my status is this weekend. Granted, I am using a demo so I can't send you all an exe if I get something going but maybe I can send some source or something.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#13]
Welcome to the jungle.
Prophetic.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#14]
Prophetic.
You dug up a four year old thread just for that????

You need to get out more.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#15]
I booked two weeks holiday from work to spend time on my game. I do go out to the shops, however.