Artists

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Artists

Ferret(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

Where should i look for a 2d artist that can do tile based graphics and maps using mappy.

I don't know where to start and i have nothing to offer because i want to release the game for free.
Even if i want to spend some money on it, i have no idea what art like this costs.

Any sugestions?

Thx

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#2]
Gamedev.net has a 'Help Wanted' section and CodersWorkShop has a 'Trading Centre'.
What graphics do you have so far so we can see the style you're going for.
Is the game already written? If not, use something like WorldCreator to create some placeholder graphics. You never know, they might even turn out good enough to use.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#3]
Having done this work for years I can advise you that it will not be cheap, for a great artist.

Think £20 / $40 an hour or so for art that is of highest quality. Don't pay more than this.

Ferret(Posted 2006) [#4]
$40 an hour is verry expensive for a freeware project, but good to know.

I created some tiles using the free version of WorldCreator, this is the tool if i end up creating the art miself but i need allot more practice.
Take a look, the platforms i created with WorldCreator, the walls are ripped from a free tileset .

Here is a demo to show how it looks like ingame, i'm going for a simulated 3D look but it looks a litle wierd now.
http://www.ferretdesign.be/platformer/platformer_0.1.zip

assari(Posted 2006) [#5]
Good start. I like the menu system, once I figured out how to use it. Suggest you highlight as soon as the pointer hovers over it (not wait until its clicked)

Well done.

Ferret(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thx for the advice, i created a topic at CodersWorkShop trading centre.