Packing images into a data file?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Packing images into a data file?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
Is there a similar product to Terabits PAK for MAX?

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#2]
Why would you? just incbin all the lot.. or am I missing something?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well my qoob app for example has data files about 15 meg is size (its a BIG game).

Are you really suggesting we have 15meg+ exes?

What about HL2? Do they have a 4gig exe?

No.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#4]
aaaah ok .. ^_^

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
BBCruncher?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#6]
AHA! Thanks tonyg

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
Does anyone have any Max examples of using this?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#8]
Nope, but I have another idea (c)(tm)(r).

Why not use the ZIP Module for storing the data?
- You can extract the data right into memory an load the from there
- You can compress the data
- You can pw protect it as well

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's debatable whether to have all your files included (and have a big exe with a single file to distribute), or to have a small exe and load the files at startup time (with lots of extra files). Does it really matter that your exe is 40 megs if you were going to have a 2 meg exe with 38 megs of data loaded? Who cares if you call it an exe or a data file. There is no real difference between the data being included in the exe and the exe loading the same amount of data. You can compress the data and unpack it using some kind of compression library at runtime if you like. In my game I'm incbin'ing all the data and even incbin'ing RAW graphics data, not PNG's, as if you incbin a file format you have to hold both the file itself and the uncompressed version and the version on the graphics card.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#10]
AngelDaniel is correct. Just because it's all in the exe doesn't mean it's all loaded automatically. At least, it shouldn't do, unless BlitzMax is doing something horribly wrong.

To all intents and purposes, the resources you add to the exe are a separate data file and are loaded as and when your program loads them.

Unless you're using a particular DRM solution which can't deal with you loading data from the exe, it make no difference.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#11]
Is there a similar product to Terabits PAK for MAX?
Use MPacker, its free and is the best for Bmax and VERY easy to use!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#12]
How do you use blitzmax zip functionality? and is it slow if the zip just uses store?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#13]
@One Eyed Jack: You've got mail! :)