Makeing instances and updating them.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Makeing instances and updating them.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok I've read all tutorials and I'm still confused. I payed my 80 dollars for this powerfull engine so I would like to get just the basics down.

Let me set the scene:
I used to be a HARDCORE Game Maker programmer user so converting to BlitzMax presents some hurdles for me.YOU see in Game Maker you simply premade each object and you used a one line command to make new instances of the object.

The one glaring problem I'm having is wrapping my mind around maintaining instances through the "Tlists".

I know you make a type and that sets the general framework for all objects created from that type. I know you have to save each instance into a list and you must update the lists using a "for" loop. I also realize that you must code a deletion function to remove the instance from the list when you no longer want it to exist.

Could someone please show me how to create an instance of a type object and how to properly make a holding list, and maintain instances of the objects in the holding list?
Please comment on everything I just try and fail, try and fail. I simply don't understand how to declare and create instances and maintain their update functions.
Please assist if you can. I'm REALLY excited about learning more BlitzMax.

Cajun17(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well first, welcome to the forum.

I've used game maker quite a bit recently and the way it handles object threw me so I can relate.

Incase you didn't already know instances of objects don't have to be stored in a list. May times it's useful to do so, but it's not required.

Here's a little list example:

Personally I like to keep my lists outside of the instances they hold. For example I would make an EnemyManager type that had a list to hold all my enemies. That way I could make more than one list of enemies if I wanted.

On the other hand you could put the list inside the type if you only want one list. Also you'll only want to do this for things that are always manipulated all at once. I think this is what you're wanting:

This definetly isn't the end all be all list example, but hopefully you got something out of it.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks, this helps alot. If I have any problems implimenting it into my game I'll tell you.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#4]
ok here is my bullet type it looks good to me but it creates an error saying type global initializers must be constant.

Type Bullet
Field x,y,direction,speed
Global Bullet_List:TList = CreateList()

Function create(x,y,direction,speed)
temp_shot:Bullet= New Bullet
temp_shot.x=x
temp_shot.y=y
temp_shot.direction=direction
temp_shot.speed=speed
ListAddLast(Bullet_List,temp_shot)
EndFunction

Function draw()
Local temp_shot:Bullet=Bullet(Bullet_List.last())
SetColor 235,200,124
DrawOval 32,32,x-16,y-16
EndFunction

Function update()
Local temp_shot:Bullet=Bullet(Bullet_List.last())
temp_shot.draw()
' make the x and y move
temp_shot.x:+ speed*Cos(direction)
temp_shot.y:+ speed*Sin(direction)
EndFunction

Function destroy()
ListRemove(Bullet_List,Self)
EndFunction

EndType

Eric(Posted 2006) [#5]
Just out of curiosity why are you using functions to update and draw your Bullets. You really should look at methods.

If you are adding them to a list you can just cycle through the list with Eachin and update and draw them that way.

I toyed with your code to give you an example.

Type Bullet
	Field x,y,direction,speed

Global Bullet_List:TList = New Tlist

Function create(x,y,direction,speed)
		Local temp_shot:Bullet= New Bullet
			temp_shot.x=x
			temp_shot.y=y
			temp_shot.direction=direction
			temp_shot.speed=speed
		ListAddLast(Bullet_List,temp_shot)
	EndFunction

Method  Draw()
		SetColor 235,200,124
		DrawOval X-8,Y-8,16,16
	End Method 

Method update()
		draw()
		x:+ speed*Cos(direction)
		y:+ speed*Sin(direction)
		If Y<0
			Destroy()
		End If 
	End Method 

Method destroy()
		ListRemove(Bullet_List,Self)
	End Method 
EndType

Graphics 640,480
Repeat 
	Cls
	If KeyHit(Key_Space)
		Bullet.Create(Rand(640),440,270,2)
	End If 
	For Local B:Bullet=EachIn Bullet.Bullet_List
		B.Update()
	Next 
	Flip
Until KeyHit(Key_Escape)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#6]

the code and still got the same error.
I seem to get an error is this just my computer?
( I hope you aren't annoyed by my slow learning curve)

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think you need a BlitzMax update, see the first thread in the BlitzMax Updates and Betas forum for download links.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks it appears to work fine now.

Eric(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ryan,

No problem on my end....It took me and is still taking me time to get my head around OOP. It turns out that it is a real time saver and programming follows my thought process better instead of having to rethink an Idea to program it.

So if you need any help I would be more than happy to help in my limited way. :)

Best Regards,
Eric