crackly distorted sounds

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/crackly distorted sounds

jkrankie(Posted 2006) [#1]
hi,

i've just got my game compiled and running on windows, having written it on my mac.

while everything graphics wise looks good, and the game plays identically, the sound on the windows version gets really crackly when there's a few sounds playing, and cuts out completely when there are lots of sounds playing.

is this a known problem on windows? or does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

i've got various channels that are allocated using allocchannel(), and the sound effects are called with something like Playsound sound,channel1.

i stop some channels between levels, and some before the same sound is played again. This stuff works fine on my mac.

Cheers
Charlie

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are you using the latest version? There were several reported issues with sound playback a few months ago. BRL made a few changes to try to address them, and there was an improvement, although I'm not sure if ALL the problems got resolved...

Yan(Posted 2006) [#3]
You don't say which version of Windows, Charlie. I believe there are still problems with sound on Win9x.

jkrankie(Posted 2006) [#4]
sorry, it Windows XP

jkrankie(Posted 2006) [#5]
OK, got it sorted now. It seems that allocchannel() was not allocating channels after a channel was stopped, which i suppose makes sense, but this isn't the same on my mac.

Cheers
Charlie

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#6]
If you can produce a small code snippet that demonstrates a difference between Mac and Windows, you should report it as a bug.