Does Alt Tab destroy dynamic graphics?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Does Alt Tab destroy dynamic graphics?

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
OK, I know I could test this, but just wondered what you lot knew about it. In Blitz Plus any images loaded or created as "dynamic" i.e. on video RAM only would get destroyed if you alt+tab (or windows key etc) from a full-screen game, thus you either a) didn't use them or b) reloaded/redrew them when resume was detected after loss of focus. Now I know that Max ONLY uses dynamic images (unless the video card runs out of RAM I guess) so does alt+tab still present a problem? Thanks.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
BM does not have VRAM only for DirectX, so that is no problem anymore.

But there are some other problems with DirectX interfaces that might lead to similar errors ...

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
hmm, anyone care to elaborate? apart from the mouse delay problem that is.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you mean the problems with DX and alt - tabbing: There are threads on that in the bugsection.
That and the mouse lag are the only probs I know of. OpenGL has none of both (textures can't disappear as OpenGL has no texture managing as DX, nor can OpenGL render 8 frames ahead which leads to the mouse lag problem)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#5]
opengl does manage textures!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
so there ARE alt+tabbing problems ... bummer ... are there fixes?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#7]
There are no alt tabbing problems.

An extra problem though is if you are running a windowed mode bmax app and then run a fullscreen dx app, the windowed mode app does not know if it has been corrupted or not and the graphics are lost.

This is fixable but so far it hasn't been fixed.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
ok, thanks. Well that's a rarer but possible scenario, i.e. run my game in windowed mode and load a full screen game up at the same time. Not too likely.