Playing around with BlitzMax Demo...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Playing around with BlitzMax Demo...

Apollonius(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all, I have BlitzPlus, but it seems Blitz Max has the features I want such as Transparency and rotation.. ect.

But I'm not too good with Blitz Plus yet and Blitz Max is quite complicated, half teh stuff I try now doesn't work.

Questions:
1. Modules? What the hell are those? Sets of Functions? Do I need to call out the modules I wana use?

2. The commands references is hard to browse in, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing really. Like is there somewhere with all the commands and what they do? I tryed finding "Graphics" but couldn't find it... I wanted to set it to windowed at 800x600. o.o

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#2]
No idea. I still don't know why I jumped from bb to bm... well at least its recent and I like programming with confusing languages because I'm a nerd =) lets look at the main menu in bm for modules...

Module Reference
Welcome to the BlitzMax module reference.

This section describes all commands contained in BlitzMax modules.

For a description of the BlitzMax programming language, please see the BlitzMax language reference.

If you're new to BlitzMax, you might want to look at these modules first:
Audio - Sound effects and noises
Max2D - 2D graphics and rendering
Timers - Creating and using timers
Streams - Reading and writing data
File system - Managing the file system
Polled input - Getting keyboard and mouse input
Joystick - Getting joystick input

Ok I would take it that modules are just sections of information about commands. And to answer your second question: the documentation sucks. Resort to asking your noobish questions in the forums here. However you should be able to find things kind-of-easily. Lets see... help>modules>graphics> now lets double click on the graphics tab and see what crap it has to offer.

Ok 7th thing down the page under "functions". There you specify your resolution, bit depth, screen refreshrate and gfxmode. (like full screen or whatever, which is '1' by the way.)

I'm 15 and moved from bb cause it was kind of old and I never did much with that anyway. In about a month I've already learnt oop from a very good tutorial, collision code (with rotation) and some basic writing to files. I wouldn't say its that easy, anyway ask me for tutorials if you want any... I go through lots :D

- Welcome to the wide world of kicking ass!

Apollonius(Posted 2006) [#3]
Gimme all the tutorials! I wana learn BlitzMax abit before buying it, I have a dream menu I wana make, but it's not easy. I couldn't make it with B+ because it had no transparency and my lack of knowledge on how to time things... Let's say my overall lack of knowledge of the language lol.

Any tutorial for very simple games that are step by step and well explained? Because I'm the kind of guy who learns by seeing it first hand and knowing what everything does and why. o.o

Thanks for the help~

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
No, there aren't many tutorials for "how do I do xy step by step" ... for that type of all beginners, the old blitz versions are the better idea. You need to have some knowledge of what you do and of OO if you want to unleash BMs power ...

btw: How you want to achieve a menu with BM you couldn't have done with B+ is a mystery to me as the WinAPI simply does not allow alpha on its gadgets ...

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#5]
Heres a good pdf that goes over all of the basics, then more cool stuff like arrays and oop and then some more basic (yet cool) stuff. This is a must read. Theres also lots of stuff on collision code I've yoinked off the internet and other various places...

One from a tutorial on bm

Another one from I don't know where...

One I yoinked off the internet...

and another one I yoinked off the internet...

If you really want to go mad and kill yourself then theres more confusing things like asteroids in an hour or so that you probably don't care about in the tutorials forum so check out the tutorials section some time :)

but I would recommend staying with blitz-whatsit that you've already got.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#6]
It's called codebox.

Apollonius(Posted 2006) [#7]
Dreamora: Who said anything about gadgets? I didn't say it was a program's menu, or any rubish like that. B+ does not allow to make a Rect 50% transparent, it's a simple as that.

-----
Alot of things changes from B+ to Bmax, once I have a bigger grasp of B+ when I turn to Bmax it will be weird.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ah ok. thought you meant real menus :-)
btw: even if it was a "real one": thanks to BMs event stuff you can make event based GUI without using WinGUI. Have created one myself as well for ingame usage, which supports draging and drag'n'drop as well as many events. But it does not use the WinAPI approach but C# approach with event function handles.

Cleaner and better structured way.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's called codebox.

It is? *Checks faq, comes back and cleans old post* opps. So (code) and (codebox) I see... hehe, forum codes are funny. I bet you guys $5 that I can get perma banned the fastest for quote box towers :D

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#10]
1) Module are sets of function. You can include only the ones you use to make your exe's smaller. This is difficult but FrameWork Assistant
You can even make your own which contain your functions as if they're part of the product with their own documentation.
2) Command reference has an Index under Help / Modules / Index which lists all in alphabetical order. In addition, there is Hotdocs and Assari's chm and Useful reasource page

Apollonius(Posted 2006) [#11]
Is flushmem suppose to do soemthing else then being brought as an error?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#12]
Flushmem isn't needed any more. Garbage collection is automatic. Any code you see with flushmem was written before the change.

Apollonius(Posted 2006) [#13]
oh ok, someone should tell the tech support to fix the topic:
Orientation guide for existing Blitz users