Finding type code from method.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Finding type code from method.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just in case I am missing a trick...
When reading code which uses methods (e.g. BlitzMax source) it's difficult to know what type the method is
associated to. Generally, I find myself using WinXP
search on the BRL.mod directory.
Is there a better way of doing it?
I realise commenting code will help but I also thought of naming the methods or the variables
e.g. Player_TTest.Create()
as OOP guides I have read suggest that function/method names should be more generic.
How do other people do this in their code and how do you navigate around Bmax source?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
I use blide. Has a framework that shows you all general modul sources and OO things.
The Intellisense of Blide takes care that I always get my hand on the field / methods I need :-)

Documentation has been replaced with HotDocs created documentation to make it acceptable for OO style programming (I only use OO where the functionality exists)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for that Dreamora.
The framework in Blide is very good. I have yet to check Hotdocs but it looks very interesting.
However, do these both help track down what something like...
active.remove
will do if I have not idea what Ttype active is?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
Why do you actually need to know what type it is?
I mean beside the possibility to simply scroll up a little.
(when programming in OO, the things are either local to the method you are in in that moment, which won't be too large, or are a field/global of the type. The later one is listed in Blide on the left side using the "local shortcuts" bar)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
It seems we use the same method.
When working through large, multi-file sources I find it slow and fiddly to find a method call, scroll through the code or search to find the variable assign, either scroll/search or winxp search to find which file contains the type definition to find the function/method.
I just wondered if I was missing something. Seems that I am not.
Thanks again.
P.S. Just got Hotdocs after messing with the trial for a few mins. It's superb.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
On large multifile stuff, I would prefer as well if blide handled the local shortcuts as Protean did: all types etc of the project (or application in case of blide), not only the ones of the actual project.

Beside that, I think its a great app, which is why I try to support it :-)

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#7]
Hotdocs gives me what I want.
All I have to do is find the method in the alphabetical t.functions list and click the link.
I like Blide as well and would use it more if I programmed more seriously.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
@Dreamora! whoy didn't you tell this before:

I would prefer as well if blide handled the local shortcuts as Protean did: all types etc of the project (or application in case of blide)
I'll do it, it's a very good idea!! (obvious, but, you know, sometimes this kind of things are the more difficult to see...)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#9]
Why I didn't say ... hmm ... good question ... don't know why.
Haven't used the short cut functionality an the past versions as I only worked with single files are few files where it was not needed ...

But good if something like that will be implemented :-)