BlitzMax for animation application?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax for animation application?

daytwa(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all,

I'm a new blitz max user, and I'm hoping to use blitz to create a 2d animation package. This app will need to be able to load multiple large png files, and be able to render the resulting animations into single frame images or uncompressed .avi files. I'm not looking to support low-end machines, so assume that the computers running this app will be "beefy"

What I'm hoping for is if I could get some "Here's where you'll run into some problems..." from experienced blitzmax coders. Are there limitations on image size for .pngs? Is it difficult to save a "rendered" buffer to an image or video file? Any insight anyone has before I dive into this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Large PNG: You are restricted to the supported texture sizes (2048x2048 for most) if you don't want to stay on pixmaps which are slower.

But even then, you can't render on a larger space than the maximum resolution is.

Saving on AVI is not that hard, assuming you have a DLL or know how to do it. BM can't do it, nor can it play movies.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#3]
Is it difficult to save a "rendered" buffer to an image or video file

You can save a rendered PixMap to disk using the SavePixmapPNG command.

Saving on AVI is not that hard, assuming you have a DLL or know how to do it. BM can't do it, nor can it play movies.

If you need to play movies, there's an option for MPEG, with some source posted on Chris C.'s website:

http://www.chris-camacho.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&dir=DESC&order=name&limit=5&limitstart=10

won't write though, only play.