MySQL databases

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/MySQL databases

peltazoid(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, I'm writing a multiplayer boardgame conversion of an abstract boardgame called mensa connections. I plan on having a server program, and clients connect to a lobby. I also want to be able to keep a database of registered players, for keeping track of games w/l/d, times played...etc

after seeing the MySQL module by gman, I thought this would make it easier. However I have no experience with databases and I have the following questions

1) I take it I need to create the database in MySQL first. (possibly with a decent front end as it seems it is command line)?

2) MySQL Community Edition does act as a server, doesn't it? (not looked into it fully yet)

3) Is the module just for quering the database or can you add entries with it? Anyone got any tutorials for using the lib?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well.....Im no database guru...but even the MySQL community edition is a whopping 15megabytes ZIPPED and not installed...not to mention the various hassles you'd run into configuring the damned thing (I got a webdesign friend of mine to set mine up, and I'd like to think I'm pretty smart to be able to setup software...NOT SO with MySQL) so putting that burden on an end-user made me abandon MySQL and the fantastic mod made by gman for BlitzMax as a viable option for storage on an end user program. (pant pant......) So I'd say do a search for the module by gman (sorry to be lazy but Im about to go to sleep) and attack people in the forums. You know, in the thread theres some great examples. Ask for Gavin. He's great! ;)

But again, as a solution on a program for an end-user? No way. Not at this point. But holler if you find a better solution!!!! I'd like to see something mysql style for a database for a program without all the fuss of mySQL!!! :):):)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]
if the plan is for just for a very few servers i'd recommend gmans db module for mysql or postgress

if each client can also optionally become a server then I'd use teamonkeys sqlite module which is tiny a uses a sigle small file to save the db

in any case you'd need to research into sql

assari(Posted 2006) [#4]
and you can find the links to all these various db possibilities for BlitzMax here

peltazoid(Posted 2006) [#5]
thanks, the DB side would be on the server, with the clients having no access to the DB directly.

other options are to have a small server, no lobby, logon but which manages ip-address to the game created and the clients connect to it.

Or to have the server and client in the same app and have one player sets as server, the rest join.

still in the planning stage, but i'll see how it goes with the lobby server and database first then possibly scale down :D

assari(Posted 2006) [#6]
One of the DB on the list, eTna, sounds like it fits what you want to do.

peltazoid(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yeah, had a look at that, sounds like it also means learning php as well :/

i'm going to look into it anyhow

thanks

René(Posted 2006) [#8]
As far as understood you don't need the whole SQL Server, Web Server stuff, when your server software is the only one that is connecting to DB. So I would suggest a "zero-configuration" database like SQLite. You can use teamonkeys wrapper. I wrote a little module on top of that, which makes SQL operations very easy (teamonkeys wrapper is great, but the commands are "ugly" IMHO :-)
Write a mail if you want to use my SQLiter module.

You have much more less work to do, when using a zero-configuration database (as theh name says).

Later on, you can port your SQLite tables MySQL, if you are changing your DB/client/server model.

Have fun