about fps control

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/about fps control

hub(Posted 2006) [#1]
i want that my game always works at the same 'speed'.

i think have limited the fps to 60 just by using : Graphics 1024,768,32, 60. When i display the fps into my game have 59-60FPS. *

Is it a good method or is it better to use
Graphics 1024,768,32, 75 and next use an fps limiter code set to 60 fps ? (If this is better where to find an example)

(*) note that i've tried to set the graphics parameter to 75, i've 74-75 fps displayed into the game)

Thanks for your help !

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
This isn't a good practice.
You should work with FPS independet calculation technics (using the time difference from now and the last calculation) which scale the modification value to the time frame they need to be applied (normally this means * timedifference / 1000.0 on all calculations that need to be frame independet)

hub(Posted 2006) [#3]

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
thats tweening ... never used it so far ...

hub(Posted 2006) [#5]
i'm searching an example, but nothing easy to understand or adapted to bmax for the moment !

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#6]
There's been loads of discussions and code for this in Bmax. Search for Delta Time

hub(Posted 2006) [#7]
ok.

note that i already use a lot of 'If MilliSecs() > timer1 + 100' to control frame animation, shoot movement updates...

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thats no problem :-)
delta time works great with time (or even real event) based updating

hub(Posted 2006) [#9]
here a code from Indiepath. Should i now 'paste' my main loop 'inside' the RenderGFX() function ?
i'm very bad with fps limitation !!!

initial post : http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49306&hl=delta%20time

hub(Posted 2006) [#10]
Finally i've used this from Sushimasta. Perhaps not the best solution, but it's easy to understand and add to my initial program ! Hope this works fine !

Strict

Global fps:Float = 60
Global time:Float = 1000 / fps

Local timer:Float = Millisecs() + time

While(Not Keyhit(1))
    Local ms:Float = Millisecs()
    If(ms >= timer)
        timer = ms + time
        'Update()
        'Render()
    Endif

ozak(Posted 2006) [#11]
Don't limit your update loop like this. Use delta timing.
It's easier than you think :)

Here's how I calculate smooth rotation and movement in my dungeon app:

Local diff:Float = Float(MilliSecs () - old_time)
 old_time = MilliSecs()
 Local rot_speed:Float = 0.4 * diff
 Local move_speed:Float = 0.015 * diff	

So now I just add rot_speed to rotation if the user wishes to rotate and move_speed to the movement if the user wishes to move forwards or backwards.

The trick is you want smooth movement across systems of varying speed, but you want the display to update as much as possible at the same time.