Blitzmax SLOW SLOW SLOW

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Blitzmax SLOW SLOW SLOW

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#1]
Help!!!! Please!!!
New to Blitzmax by 15 minutes.
I have Blitz3d on my machine and it runs perfectly.

EVERY SAMPLE PROGEAM in Blitzmax runs like a stop action film. An extremely SLOW stop action film.

Please help. Is there some setting I need to change.
I'm dead in the water with my brand new software if not!

Thanks for any help offered.

Gimpy1

GW(Posted 2006) [#2]
have you Tried the openGL driver? Are you even running windows? Linux? Whats your setup?

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#3]
Sorry for lack of info. I'm sort of in panic mode right now and not thinking.

Running HP Pentium 733MHZ 384mb RAM with XP Profesional. Graphics card is NVIDIA Vanta.

I run all sorts of puzzle type games and low r4source stuff. Doom and such run fine at apparently top speed.

Sorry again. And thanks.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#4]
You're running with debug mode on. Go to the program menu, and select build options and click debug to uncheck it.

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#5]
I have only Quick Build selected now.

Same slow speed. No change.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#6]
What kind of graphics card is the nVidia Vanta? There doesn't seem to be any drivers for it at nVidias site...

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#7]
That's the video card that came with the Hewlet Packard Pavillion 8760C. It must be a relativly good card. Everything I've run on it, 3DMAX, Maya, other grqphics intensive programs all run fine. ?? I have the latest drivers running on it now.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#8]
Try using OpenGL instead of DirectX.
If it runs CAD then it will most likely not beeing that optimized for DirectX and there is no guarantee that it even works with DirectX 7 (ie that its drivers are not only DX8+ as CAD did not use DX previously).

( The command is: SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver(). You must use the command before calling graphics() )

sswift(Posted 2006) [#9]
Gimpy:
Video cards that come with computers from places like Best Buy, are rarely "relatively good".

3D Studio Max and Maya are poor benchmarks to use for 3D processing power. I don't even know if they use any 3D acceleration by default.

Flameduck, here's the Vanta page:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/vanta.html

"Leveraging the NVIDIA TNT architecture"

Gimpy:
I was using a TNT based card about five years ago. That's anchient by today's standards.

Doom runs fine? Do you mean Doom 3? I suppose it's possible that if they turn off every single special effect it might, since the models are so low poly. But that doesn't mean your card is good.

Go to that website I linked, and download the drivers there. I suspect BlitzMax runs so slow because you're using the OpenGL drivers, and OpenGL if I remember correctly was poorly supported way back when. Maybe your drivers are old. Or maybe Nvidia didn't care to make good OpenGL drivers for your card. If that is the case maybe you can set the Max renderer to the Direct3D one, but I'm new to the language myself so I don't know how you do that.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#10]
Dream:
Doesn't Max DEFAULT to OpenGL? If so shouldn't he try running in Direct3D instead?

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#11]
Got a complie error:

Compile error
Identifier 'SetGraphicsDriver' not found

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#12]
you probbably have an old version of max. downlpad the latest version from this webpage and then sync mods.

in the old versions of max you needed to call a function called flushmem or it will run awfully slow.

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#13]
Space_guy, I just downlod the commercial version tonight from the Blitz download site emailed to me in the order. Would that not be the 'latest version'?

I tried to sync modules earlier, but I don't know what server it is looking for.

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#14]
Also, whre would I determine if I'm using OpenGl or DirectX? Is it a setting or a programmabe item?

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#15]
go to update section in bmax/forums download vers 1.6 of bmax

make sure you delete/uninstall the old version and delete the old folders.

install bmax 1.6

go to syncmods and input your username and password

(please make sure you register bmax on this site in your account )

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#16]
if you look on the top of the www.blitzbasic.com webpage in the forums there is links to the latest version.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=47712

this link should work

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#17]
aah. thats was quick

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#18]
The version I downloaded tonight in my order is 1.09. I see on the Blitz update site the latest version of Blitzmax is 1.16 as Space_guy and DuckStab[o] suggested.

I got an internal error trying to go to the web site listed above. Both by clicking it and by opasting it into the address bar in IE.

gimpy1(Posted 2006) [#19]
SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks to every one who offered your kind and greatly appreciated help.

IT WAS MY FAULT apparently.

I had not yet registered the program on the web site thinking that I would do it later for 'surely' I had the latest version.

WRONG. I was directed to 1.09 and the latest is, as I was shown, 1.16. 1.16 works perfectly as far as I can see. Mucho speed.

Now that I have a new toy to work with, I'm sure you will hear me whining for help again from around a corner here somewhere pretty soon. :o)

Thank you all!!

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#20]
sswift: Naw on windows BM defaults to DirectX since 1.10.
Only on the other two OS' it defaults to OpenGL.

Thats what the Versions.doc states.

But somehow it falls back to OpenGL if you framework with brl.glmax2d without importing the D3D7max2d without notifying.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#21]
I have the vanta on a 400mhz windows 2000 box. Getting drivers for even DX hw acceleration is a nightmare for it.

So it's possible to have a card which can do accelerated DX7, but also fail to have the drivers for that.

In this case it's likely that gimpy is now compiling with DX7, as this is the default in the new version.

It is yet another justification that BR was right to have DX fallback.