New blitzmax user

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/New blitzmax user

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey all, I just purchased blitzmax :)

I've been playing around with it a couple hours and thus far have a fairly working version of pong to show for it. Currently I'm working on an Arkanoid clone, which hopefully will teach me even more of this wonderful application.

Only programming experience I have is a little of php and a tiny bit of c++, and so far blitz is a really awesome fit for me. I'm more of an artist you see, but in the future I hope I will be able to make my own small arcade games, entertaining people :)

Just a friendly hello from lil' me. See you all around in various threads. I have a lot of stupid questions (yes I will search first of course), and I'm looking forward to helping out any way I can.

Edit:
Oh yes! I forgot to say that I read this EXCELLENT guide written by wave. It gave me a flying start: http://www.truplo.com/docs/BeginnersGuideToBlitzMax10.pdf

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#2]
lo :)

semar(Posted 2006) [#3]
Welcome on board !

Sergio.

assari(Posted 2006) [#4]
kronholm, welcome on board.
Visit this Resource link page to see what the community has done

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks all, and thank you assari, that's a very handy links page. Lots of gold there!

(Any idea where to start looking as far as having the .exe blitzmax compiles shrunk down? I mean preventing it from compiling in various unnecessary libraries, not just compressing the .exe)

semar(Posted 2006) [#6]
(Any idea where to start looking as far as having the .exe blitzmax compiles shrunk down? I mean preventing it from compiling in various unnecessary libraries, not just compressing the .exe)

Search the forum for 'Framework Assistant' application - it does exactly what you need.

Sergio.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#7]
I mean preventing it from compiling in various unnecessary libraries, not just compressing the .exe

What Semar said: Framework Assistant, does an awesome job. You can shed some additional weight by using UPX to compress the executable as well, but it sounds like you're already familiar with those.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks guys, I've looked into framework assistant and managed to get the filesize down to about 500kb, also using UPX. But that's just a simple pong game, with nothing but a few 8kb png's in it. I don't understand how it's that big when comparing to e.g. this small mario clone here: http://danjeruz.servegame.com/bbmario3.zip (150kb exe, with lots more artwork than my pong)

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#9]
wow! blitzmax is that easy?!? 1 full day is when u first posted. then you have a nice game going(well tons of gliches) but that makes me more confident. good work on the mario game kron!

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#10]
the mario clone isn't mine, thought that was obvious from my post. Just an example of another blitzmax game that's only 150kb in size.

Triforce Guardian(Posted 2006) [#11]
ooo i thought it was yours my bad :P

EOF(Posted 2006) [#12]
But that's just a simple pong game, with nothing but a few 8kb png's in it
Check if you compiling with the Build Options set to:

Debug Build - OFF
Build GUI App - ON

Can you post the FrameWork Assistant output here?
If not, email me and I'll have a look for you.

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#13]
Below is the output from framework assistant of my pong game.. But now after I've run it through framework assistant again, it seems I can't compile the bloody thing heh.

Linking:game.exe
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/bin/ld.exe:C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/tmp/ld.tmp: file format not recognized; treating as linker script
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/bin/ld.exe:C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/tmp/ld.tmp:5: parse error

Opengl template:
Framework BRL.GLMax2D
Import BRL.RamStream
Import BRL.PNGLoader
Import BRL.Random

' modules which may be required:
' Import BRL.BMPLoader
' Import BRL.TGALoader
' Import BRL.JPGLoader

SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

And the directx template:

Framework BRL.D3D7Max2D
Import BRL.RamStream
Import BRL.PNGLoader
Import BRL.Random

' modules which may be required:
' Import BRL.BMPLoader
' Import BRL.TGALoader
' Import BRL.JPGLoader

SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver()

EOF(Posted 2006) [#14]
Do you know what type of file ld.tmp is?

Try adding:

Import BRL.FileSystem

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#15]
Thanks Jim, I will try that the second I get home from work today :)

DaY(Posted 2006) [#16]
if you want to use mappy ( a 2D arcade map editer)
http://tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

you need to go here and download and install it its simple enough just ask if you need help itl make your arcade 2d game levels easy to make :)
http://www.gprogs.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=9

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#17]
No thanks, for now I'll make my own editors, and learn from that as well :)

Andy(Posted 2006) [#18]
Velkommen til Blitz,

Der er en del danske B3D og BMX brugere her, så du skulle kunne føle dig hjemme.

-Translation-
Welcome to Blitz,

There are a number of danish B3D and BMX users here, so you
should feel right at home.
-------------

Andy

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#19]
Andy: Tak for det makker :) Er I evt. lidt organiserede, så man fx. kan se en oversigt over hvor I landet folk befinder sig - evt. hooke op med hinanden til en gang blitz-snak?

Jim:
Import BRL.FileSystem did not work. The file ld.tmp contains stuff like:
INPUT(
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/lib/crtbegin.o"
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/lib/crt2.o"
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/appstub.mod/appstub.release.win32.a"
C:/work/games/01_pong/!source/.bmx/game.bmx.console.release.win32.o
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/luascript.mod/luascript.release.win32.a"
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/lua.mod/lua.release.win32.a"
"C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/glew.mod/glew.release.win32.a"

and so on. I tried deleting everything in tmp including this ld file, and upon a recompile, it was created again.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#20]
the ld file is generated for the linker to link the executable. Deleting it makes no sense because of that.

The problem is line 5 according the error and I would bet it is the ! in your path that is not accepted by ld.

Andy(Posted 2006) [#21]
>Andy: Tak for det makker :) Er I evt. lidt organiserede,
>så man fx. kan se en oversigt over hvor I landet folk
>befinder sig - evt. hooke op med hinanden til en gang
>blitz-snak?

Desværre ikke, selv om en dansk Blitz-Con var på tale en gang.

Det ville nok også være mere relevant at organisere nordiske Blitz brugere, for der er vi godt repræsenteret.

-Translation-
Unfortunately not, although a danish Blitz-Con was spoken of at some point.

It would propably be more relevant to organise nordic blitz users, as they as a group are well-represented.
-------------

Andy

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#22]
Thank Dreamora, that was exactly what was wrong. Embarrasing :)

Andy -> Blitzcon would be very cool.. but shouldn't be too hard to put something together where we'd all meet over some beers in a pub or something :)

ThomasL(Posted 2006) [#23]
Hej Kronholm, Andy og andre danske BlitzMax'er :)

Jeg er selv en ny BlitzMax bruger.
Er en erfaren C#/Microsoft. NET programmør, men har lyst til at prøve kræfter med noget andet.

Indtil videre har jeg være godt tilfreds, bortset fra at jeg har haft mindre held med de danske bogstaver i BlitzMax. I Print bliver de encoded forkert og i DrawText kommer de slet ikke frem. Det er vist første gang jeg oplever et Basic program, der ikke kan skrive æ,ø og å.
Ser ud til at Unicode ikke er som det skal være i BlitzMax.

Har I haft samme problem og har I nogen idé om der bliver set på det?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#24]
Fobandede udlændinge!

Andy -> Blitzcon would be very cool.. but shouldn't be too hard to put something together where we'd all meet over some beers in a pub or something :)
You wouldn't think so, no.

I Print bliver de encoded forkert og i DrawText kommer de slet ikke frem. Det er vist første gang jeg oplever et Basic program, der ikke kan skrive æ,ø og å.
Well, with Print it depends on which type of concole it uses if memory serves. With DrawText you need to change the font - because the original font doesn't have glyphs for Danish characters.

Ser ud til at Unicode ikke er som det skal være i BlitzMax.
Well diffent types of encodings is probably on of BlitzMAXes greatest localization challenges. Just be happy you aren't Chinese or something.