Open a Webpage?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Open a Webpage?

Black Hydra(Posted 2006) [#1]
Can you open a webpage from inside a BMax program?

I think that you could do this with ExecuteFile in B3D, but I never got around to trying it. I've been looking for a command similar to that but I have been unable to find one in either the forums or the wiki.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#2]
take a look at _system

Yan(Posted 2006) [#3]
Try OpenURL().

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#4]
meh, you could do that too. :)

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#5]
the trouble with the OpenURL() technique is that the application/game needs to access the net, which will be picked up via firewall. Anyone else know another method?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Two year old thread, but anyway....

the trouble with the OpenURL() technique is that the application/game needs to access the net, which will be picked up via firewall. Anyone else know another method?
Are you sure about this?

OpenURL opens any file (not necessarily a web page) in the default program for that file. This is done locally, obviously. If your default browser is Firefox, and that has net access through your firewall, there shouldn't be any problems.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#7]
I like to put stuff in old threads rather than start new ones when there is back story. :)

Yea, I am pretty sure on this, I use that method and when I run it ZoneAlarm pings up asking if i want to give my game permission to access the net (has my games exe in the name). Then allowing it will open the site in firefox (firefox is perminantly allowed).

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yea, I am pretty sure on this, I use that method and when I run it ZoneAlarm pings up asking if i want to give my game permission to access the net (has my games exe in the name). Then allowing it will open the site in firefox (firefox is perminantly allowed).
Technically that's because you *are* trying to access the net, the firewall is doing its best to protect the user, as the url could be malicious.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#9]
I want to open a url (purchase game page) from with inside my game, is using "OpenURL" the standard way of doing this? Thanks.