Eeeeeeeek! Changes from blitzbasic to blitzmax.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Eeeeeeeek! Changes from blitzbasic to blitzmax.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#1]
Whats with this? If I do something like

"DrawImage pie,MouseX(),MouseY()"

then the image gets dragged behind the mouse instead of being glued to it like it does on bb, can this be changed?

* Whats the difference between nicknames and user names? ...and did it say in the code of conduct that they would make my email address public?

Amon(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think this is a current issue people are seeing with mouse movements. Don't know too much about it but it has been discussed.

In answer to your last question your Name is your Name. You don'[t have to put your real name if you don't want to. Your nickname is the one people see on the forum and is used when you log in to the site or when you do a syncmods in blitzmax. Your emaill address is only seen by members who are currently logged in to the site and that have a valid BRL BUID. If you don't want people to see your email addy then remove it.

Welcome to the Blitz forums by the way. :)

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#3]
then the image gets dragged behind the mouse instead of being glued to it like it does on bb, can this be changed?

One workaround is to turn off the mousepointer and draw your own at mousex(),mousey(), so any apparent lag would seem much smaller.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#4]
One workaround is to turn off the mousepointer and draw your own at mousex(),mousey(), so any apparent lag would seem much smaller.
Don't be silly. This still affects playability badly.

This is a known issue. Basically it needs fixing at the engine level so that enough cpu time is given back to the system for the mouse; or that an alternative mouse scheme is found.

Most commercial engines work around this issue. For instance, you will find it does not occur when you enable OpenGL as the renderer.

Simon Armstrong knows about the issue, and so does Mark AFAIK, but I do not know if they plan to do anything about it.

I certainly hope they do manage to figure out some magic to do this.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#5]
Don't be silly. This still affects playability badly.

That's why I said 'workaround', not 'fix'. At least it mitigates the problem somewhat until a real fix comes out.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#6]
Your workaround changes nothing.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yes, it is a known bug.

Uber-nerd(Posted 2006) [#8]
Just finished installing 1.16 on dialup, not that it fixs it. Thats one sad error for such good software :( ... and I thought freeing up memory was easy! Guess I'll have to not use the mouse obsessively.

Anyway hi everyone, I got blitzmax yesterday and also got another license for a 11... or was it 12 year old friend, I don't know if thats a good idea or not :) programming kicks major buttox. I'm 15 btw, so I'm pretty crappy at programming.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
The only workaround I came up with for this is:

"Flip 0
Delay 1"

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#10]
That won't work Grisu.

Thanks for the heads up skidracer, missed that tip about grabimage.