Hot to use debugger in MaxIDE?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Hot to use debugger in MaxIDE?

anawiki(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hot to use debugger in MaxIDE? I'm getting frustrated because all I get is error message and I can't watch any variables or even the line which causes the error. Is there a special trick? Commands to use?

Build mode->Debug is ON

thanks
Roman

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#2]
Once the error appears, you can see all the variables in the call stack through the debug tab on the right. You can step through code using the buttons in the toolber, although this only works from a debugstop - if there's an error there's no way to ignore it and continue from the next line or change variable contents.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
You must add the command DebugStop somewhere in your app. After this command is executed you can step through your programm. (so its similar as breakpoints in other languages)

anawiki(Posted 2006) [#4]
It just seems that my debuger doesn't show anything in debug tab, no matter if it stops because of error or debugstop :(

Debuger just displays stop or error message and that's it.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
After DebugStop you have to step through your app if you want to localize the error.
After that the debug tab shows the actual variable values of all active variables.
It does not have a call stack or similar.

This only works with Debug Build active ;-)

anawiki(Posted 2006) [#6]
How can I step through my app if step buttons are inactive?

(As I mentioned Debug Build is active)

Don't you think that this is step back for IDE to cause so much problems (ide in bmx110 was so much better in debug case - at least for me)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#7]
What OS?

anawiki(Posted 2006) [#8]
WinXP SP1 & some autoupdates. MaxIDE v114 (i believe, for sure not 114b)