Menu not clearing from canvas window

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Menu not clearing from canvas window

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#1]
When I click on my Game menu and the menu drops down part of it goes over my canvas. When I move to the Options or Help menus, the lower half of the file menu stays visible in my canvas. Here's a pic of it:

This doesn't happen in BlitPlus when swapping from menu to menu over a canvas. Anyone know what's going on?

Btw, I do have the canvas active and I'm doing a cls/flip on it too.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#2]
Maybe this is the same menu/canvas-not-updating issue here. The trick might be how MaxGUI uses AddHook (I never used BlitzPlus).

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#3]
Excellent...that's twice you've bailed me out Wendell...much appreciated.

One more question though. When you click on the file menu, everthing on the canvas comes to a screeching halt. Is there a way to keep everything running while someone has the menu open?

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#4]
^ You're welcome - I've learned tons of stuff from reading others' posts here; I'm glad to post something that's useful to others. :)

Hmm... since it's a GUI-intemsive moment (the user focused on sorting through his choices), I don't know of a way of doing other things - sorry. That could be handy, but I fear that it might(?) be mired in MS Windows' event handing (I don't know about handling in other OS-es). I wonder if an EventHook could do something (but haven't tried it - how sad is that...).

Is it really necessary to keep things running real-time while the user is in the menu? That's usually a "meta-game" moment.

(BTW, I loved playing Dynamix's 1946 Aces of the Pacific expansion :) - the "future" Japanese and American plane designs were quite interesting.)