how will Managed DirectX will affect Blitzmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/how will Managed DirectX will affect Blitzmax?

matthews_30(Posted 2005) [#1]
i knew that Microsoft is planning to change the way DirectX works on Windows Vista, so OpenGL will be layered over Managed DirectX and OpenGL will lose efficency.

Is this been considered for future version of Blitz product?

matt.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#2]
All previous versions of DirectX will lose efficiency as well as OpenGL. I don't see it as a big deal. The requirements of Vista are likely to be so high that any computer which can run it is powerful enough that it will have enough oomph left after the emulation layer.

Of course, it must drive Mark nuts that he's making a DX9 engine and someone's already working on making DX9 outdated, but I guess you always get that. Like when you buy a $400 videocard and three weeks later, it's $250 and there's an even more powerful one for $395.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
probably why we all support DX7 and ignore new stuff since it takes so long for people to take it up.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well "Managed DirectX" is just a wrapper for "Unmanaged DirectX" and if you play around with it a bit, you'll discover that any real or imagined efficiency loss is not immediately noticable.

I think the most sensible thing to do is wait and see if it's actually a problem. Like BRL there is no way to make sensible, sound strategic business decisions based on Microsoft press releases. Make sure you make such decisions based on things you can control, rather than things you can't.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#5]
OpenGL will only be layered in windowed mode, not in fullscreen where the "explorer" is shut down completely (which isn't the case for actual windows which make them far slower just because of this).

This topic has been discussed here quite some time ago when this Vista - OpenGL thing came up due to press releases.

matthews_30(Posted 2005) [#6]
many thanks, good answers!