Crackly sounds

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Crackly sounds

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#1]
When i have lots of sounds playing at once, the sound often crackles and then stops for a while before crackling back to how it should be. This is highly annoying. I have tried stopping the sounds channel before playing that same sound again, but this doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Charlie

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#2]
I probably should mention that the sounds are in ogg format and are incbin'd

cheers
charlie

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#3]
How many is lots?

Are you on Windows98? Does the OldSkool2 demo work fine for you (try switching screen modes with Alt-Enter to thrash it).

Also, it may be nothing but I made the mistake once of firing off hundreds of the same sound at the same time, and like images drawn on top of each other, it wasn't an obvious bug to detect.

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#4]
One for every enemy destroyed or hit, one for each type of bonus collected. At it's busiest there can be between 50 and 100 enemies on screen, so i would guess that you could have up to about 30 instances of the same sound being played at one time.

I tried last night putting a stopchannel before every sound is played, each sound has it's own channel. This seemed to have no effect.

I also wondered if it was some sort of memory issue with that many sounds playing at once.

The old skool demo works fine.

Oh, and i'm on a mac.

cheers
charlie

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#5]
I *Think* i've fixed it.

i was using this:

Global channel2:TChannel=CueSound(aSound)

but changing it to this:

Global channel2:TChannel=allocchannel()

stops the crackling.

Whether this is a bug or down to me being mistaken i dont know

cheers
charlie

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
Is there any chance you could email your project (the problematic cuesound version) to me at Blitz Research as I would very much like to look into this further.