Declaring Win32 stuff for Bmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Declaring Win32 stuff for Bmax?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm converting some old BPlus code to BMax, and can't understand why some of my User32, Kernel32, etc DECLS won't work when converted to BMax's format, but some do. If it was all not working, I would at least know where the problem was.

For example,

BPlus

GetWindowThreadProcessId%(hwnd%,processid*):"GetWindowThreadProcessId"
GetClassName%(hwnd%,classname*,max%):"GetClassNameA"

BMax

Function GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd:Int,ID:Byte Ptr)
Function GetClassName(hWnd:Int,clString:Byte Ptr,nMaxCount:Int) = "GetClassNameA"	

GetWindowThreadProcess works fine, but GetClassName doesn't work, either with or without the "GetClassNameA". It's not an isolated function either, there are quite a lot that I can't define.

1) What am I doing wrong?

2) Can I save myself the trouble? Has anyone made a complete ( or near complete ) list of these declarations for Max?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
Pub.Win32 contains a few of them, but those ones you can do with:

Extern "Win32"
Function GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd:Int,ID:Byte Ptr) = "GetWindowThreadProcessId@8"
Function GetClassName(hWnd:Int,clString:Byte Ptr,nMaxCount:Int) = "GetClassNameA@12"	
End Extern

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
Ok, thanks, so it works with @12 appended, but why do I need that, what is it, and where do I find it for other functions I need?

Also why does GetWindowThreadProcessId work perfectly without the need for the @8 but GetClassName doesn't work without the @12?

Pub.Win32 doesn't contain much of what I need, and Birdie's TWin32 mod is no longer distributed in the samples, it would seem.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
the @12 is the size of the returned value, you can get this information by using a command prompt and navigate to the lib directory in your BMax folder. Then type
nm libname.a > name.txt

This will export the full names of the functions to a text file (specified by the last portion)

e.g.
nm libuser32.a > user32.txt

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the tip. I'm struggling now with Win32 stuff that wants to be passed a C Struct. It was my understanding that you could use BlitzMax types as surrogate C Structs if you generated an Int Ptr to the first field in the type.

But this doesn't work :

Extern "win32"	
	Function GetVersionExA(lpOSVer:Byte Ptr) = "GetVersionExA@4"

End Extern

Type OSVersionInfoEx

Field dwOSVersionInfoSize: Long
	Field dwMajorVersion:Long
	Field dwMinorVersion:Long
	Field dwBuildNumber:Long
	Field dwPlatformId:Long
	Field szCSDVersion:Byte[128]
	Field wServicePackMajor: Int
	Field wServicePackMinor: Int
	Field wSuiteMask: Int
	Field wProductType: Byte
	Field wReserved: Byte

End Type

Function GetOSVersion()

Local VersionInfo:OSVersionInfoEx=New OSVersionInfoEx
        VersionInfo.dwOSVersionInfoSize=182
	GetVersionExA(Int Ptr(Varptr(VersionInfo.dwOSVersionInfoSize)))

DebugLog VersionInfo.dwOSVersionInfoSize
	DebugLog VersionInfo.dwMajorVersion
	DebugLog VersionInfo.dwMinorVersion
	DebugLog VersionInfo.dwBuildNumber
	DebugLog VersionInfo.dwPlatformID
	DebugLog String.FromCString(VersionInfo.szCSDVersion)
	DebugLog VersionInfo.wServicePackMajor
	DebugLog VersionInfo.wServicePackMinor
	DebugLog VersionInfo.wSuiteMask
	DebugLog VersionInfo.wProductType
	DebugLog VersionInfo.wReserved

End Function

EDIT: Fixed a few silly errors made when typing into the code box. Should have just copied and pasted really.

EDIT2: Ok, I now know that SizeOf is returning an incorrect value, so I hardcoded the data buffer size. I'm still getting an error, and it's error 122, ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER - The data area passed to a system call is too small. But I can make it absolutely huge and I still get the same problem.

EDIT3: Tried it with Banks and MemAlloc() too, and I *still* get the same error code.

I used the MSDN page as a reference for copying the Struct to a type.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getversionex.asp

CGV(Posted 2005) [#6]
the @12 is the size of the returned value

Was that a typo Perturbatio, I thought the number is the combined size of the parameters the function receives.

Difference(Posted 2005) [#7]
I can spot that at least
Field szCSDVersion:Byte[128] should be
Field szCSDVersion:Byte ptr

The dll allocates the memory for that string.
You have to free your .FromCString thing yourself though, so you should put it in a variable.

read more at: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53269

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#8]
Changing the Byte Array to a Byte Pointer makes no difference. It still returns the same error code.

I'm a little unclear on the freeing of the FromCString's. If all I have is a Byte Pointer, I have no idea how to free memory it points to. Just MemFree?

When do I need to free them and when can I let them pass?

For example, do I need to free it myself with this sort of thing as well?

GetWindowText(HWND,CharBuffer,255)
   WindowName=String.FromCString(CharBuffer)

Presumably not since I have a proper variable for this, and not a pointer.

Difference(Posted 2005) [#9]
Sorry - you are right. I took the time to look it up, and the memory block is in the struct. Now I'll have to sort it out to make up.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#10]
No problem. I figured it out with a TBank. Apparently making the bank too big also returns the error that the bank is too small (!!) and I had my data types muddled. My Longs should have been Ints and my Ints should have been shorts. All working fine now though.

It appears not to be possible to do it with Blitz Types at all, since Blitz doesn't allocate memory for arrays within types in one contiguous block. IMO, it needs to be sorted ( or at least to have an alternative struct which can't contain functions and methods ) because it's hard to take BMax seriously as a general purpose language when you have to work so hard to work with anything outside of Max.

Even PureBasic allocates Struct's in one block of memory, specifically so that you can work easily with the WinAPI.