Resource Hacker

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Resource Hacker

GameScrubs(Posted 2005) [#1]
I downloaded resource hacker but it seems that the exe's created by BMAX are 16bit so this program is not reading it. Am I compiling wrong can anyone show me an example of how to change the icon. It seems really stupid that this program doesn't have a simple way of attaching an icon to your game.

Any help would be appreciated.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#2]
Just tried myself and it is not working which is strange as I remember changing my programs icon with the program before. Maybe something has changed in the latest Max update as I am using the same version of Resource Hacker. Works fine with Blitz3D.

Jason.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#3]
To add an icon using Reshack:

1) File > Open .... your Max executable
2) Action > Add new resource

Browse for and select an icon (*.ico)
The resource type should appear as ICONGROUP

3) Enter a resource name (I use 101)
4) Save the file. ResHack will save a backup too

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#4]
I`m using version 3.4.0.79 of ResHack and it will not open my Max executable even (step one on your list) Is this the version you use Jim?

As I have said it still works fine with Blitz 3D exe`s so I`m not sure as to whats causing this. Are you using BMax 1.14?

Jason.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm using the same version of Resource Hacker as you, QuickSilva, and I am not having the same problems as you. I manage to change the icon in exactly the same manner as Jim wihtout any problems.

Do you get an error when trying to Open the EXE? If you do, it may provide a clue. If not, it may (or mey not) be worth pointing out that it doesn't say when a file has been successfully loaded - it just does it.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#6]
Is this the version you use Jim?
Yes. Exactly the same version number (3.4.0.79) plus Max 1.14

Is your exe compressed (UPX)?

It may well appear as if nothing as happened when you open your Max exe. However, take a look at Reshacks titlebar to see if your exe is shown. Also, see if the Action menu options are activated (like Add new resource for instance).

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#7]
Right you are Jim, sorry I missed that ;)

Jason.

GameScrubs(Posted 2005) [#8]
AWESOME Thanks alot. I thougth something would load not just a blank screen. I appreciate the step by step help.

RAFF

EOF(Posted 2005) [#9]
If you guys are still struggling try this guide I've just knocked up:

BlitzMax Tutorials - Adding an application icon (Win32 executable)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#10]
Oooo neat. Thanks :)

Jason.