Creating Executables

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Creating Executables

Fantomias(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi! I'm new to Blitz Max.
How do i create the Exe-File? With Build?
I only find programname.debug.exe Files in the directory. Ok, I can change the name of the file later, but is this the only way or am i missing something?

Thanks...Sven

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
I only find programname.debug.exe Files in the directory. Ok, I can change the name of the file later, but is this the only way or am i missing something?

Yes, it's the only way, but it's a good idea to name your main source file the name you want the executable to have (minus the .exe of course).
If you are planning on building for release, disable debug and it would plonk the word debug in the name.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#3]

That means that you are compiling in debug mode -- The program will performadditional checks in that mode to make sure you don't try to do things that will lead to unexpected results, such as trying to write to non-existent array cells and the likes.
Debug mode is used for testing -- it will give your errors when you make certain mistakes so you can fix them, and allow you to go through your program step-by-step trying to pinpoint certain other problems. It's just for testing -- once you know your program is good and addressed any errors that may have come up, you turn off the 'debug build' menu option.

When you turn off debug mode, thoese extra checks are not compiled into the executable. This skips some of the extra error checking (but you 'should' have addressed those during your testing in debug mode), and results in a smaller .EXE size. Since it does less safety checking, a non-debug .EXE also tends to be faster than running in debug mode -- depending on what you are doing, some things can be a lot faster when you turn off debug.
The program will also be compiled as programname.exe instead of programname.debug.exe -- one more thing you can use to tell them apart.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ok, I can change the name of the file later, but is this the only way or am i missing something?
It's not the only way, but it is by far the easiest way!