Some MaxGUI beginner questions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Some MaxGUI beginner questions

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#1]
Where did the Mouse go?
So now the window uses an event system for everything is seems, such as user input. What about the fullscreen games, should they be affected. Do I have to convert everything from KeyHit() KeyDown() to using Events? Right now keys work but not the mouse keys. I want to have it compatible so I don't want to use events unless that is the new standard. (see q below)

Compatibility
Where is the border between those who have the GUI module and those who do not. Like Events, will any example I make from now on be un-compilable by those who does not have the GUI mod? I guess Events is open to everyone. Where does the line go?

Debug Window vs MaxGUI Window?
Another thing, Is debug-window mode the same as creating a MaxGui window? Can I add menus to this debug window for use in debug mode only, or should/need I redesign and use the Gui mod for debugging instead of the default? Again, what happens to those who then try to run my code without MaxGUI? Is it possible to have some smart backwards compatibility?

Drag a Window without apllication freeze?
Is it possible to DRAG a window without freezing it? Would this differ from XP,MaxOS,Linux?

Tutorial? More Samples?
I have the documentation and 5 samples + those people have posted in the forum. Is there any step by step tutorial? Or some very basic examples?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#2]
1) Have a look at the 'Polled input' mod docs.

2) from the docs...
The new Event.mod and EventQueue.mod modules are extensions to the BlitzMax system. BlitzMax events provide the necessary mechanics of communicating with a MaxGui based application as well as providing all BlitzMax applications with events such as EVENT_APPSUSPEND, EVENT_APPRESUME and EVENT_APPTERMINATE.

3) Dunno, but I doubt it.

4) I think 'event hooks' are what you seek.

5) Have you gone through the 'MaxGUI Overview' in the 'Articles and Tutorials' section of the docs?

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#3]
5) Have you gone through the 'MaxGUI Overview' in the 'Articles and Tutorials' section of the docs?

Nope and that explains some.. Thanks! The docs menu get me lost again and again.. What I can't understand is how a such a good language like BMax has the worst documentation viewer ever. I mean why not just copy the B3D one, which was really good!

Many times it's easier to open the source file and read how the command works that to flip through the menus whitout getting the answer you seek..

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#4]
What about the fullscreen games, should they be affected. Do I have to convert everything from KeyHit() KeyDown() to using Events?
Nope. But you can if you want. MouseKeys have gone, recomendation is to use MouseDown / MouseHit instead. You can roll your own abstraction around that if you want.

Like Events, will any example I make from now on be un-compilable by those who does not have the GUI mod?
No. Ecents where introduced for everyone in 1.12.

Where does the line go?
brl.maxgui

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#5]
MouseKeys have gone...use MouseDown / MouseHit instead

Thanks! That solves it. That was an easy fix. Though the scan code section should really be updated to reflect that! That's where I checked first, lol.

Another clearification, you say the line goes at brl.maxgui - Then what about debugwindow mode? Can I add gadgets to it and only those who compile with the GUImod will see the extra menus?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#6]
Another clearification, you say the line goes at brl.maxgui - Then what about debugwindow mode? Can I add gadgets to it and only those who compile with the GUImod will see the extra menus?

I doubt it. Debug mode is just that. If you want "proper" windowed games, I think that using MaxGUI to create a proper window is the way to go.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sadly, while Max2D windowed mode can benefit of Mark's/Simon's knowledge gained through programming MaxGUI, it cannot take advantage of MaxGUI directly, short of providing a cut down version to nonregistered people, that covers Windows and Canvasses only. I guess. Or a version of Max2D for registered MaxGUI owners. Whatever.

Feel free to dig around in dxgraphics.bmx (line 66 onwards) or in glgraphics.win32.c (somewhere around line 283 maybe) and make something better =] My guess is tweaking the GL driver is prohibitively complex.