Custom pointer image frame lag?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Custom pointer image frame lag?

Zolyx(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've used HideMouse to hide the default pointer and am now drawing my custom one with the usual command:

DrawImage gfxPointer, MouseX(), MouseY()

This works fine. But I can notice some screen lag compared to using the standard pointer (which is easily visible if I have both pointers active together). I guess this is probably because the custom one is being drawn to the back buffer, causing a single frame delay.

Is there any cure for this? I've tried rearranging the draw order slightly but couldn't make any noticeable effect..

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
I get the same problem and I think you're right about the delay. How does this affect your program though?
I'm guessing you'll be using the image to test for collisions/overlap/zones etc so, for the user, will it matter?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think you'll find this kind of thing is unavoidable in any version of Blitz. Probably any app ever. Unless you do some sort of predictive thing.

Zolyx(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm not hugely woried about fixing this, as I'm only using the pointer for normal mouse contol in a data editor I am making. So nope it doesn't matter. I just wondered if there was any known workaround to this niggle :) Thanks for the replies.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
How about changing the output to the front buffer and drawing the mouse pointer there?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#6]
You can do that?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
It happens in BPlus too. Front Buffer in max? huh, I thought front buffer went out with B2D!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#8]
This did not happen in 1.10, why now?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
actually that sounds bad as in BPlus the lag is a single frame which at 85Hz or whatever is *only* noticable if you show the windows pointer too. If it's now worse than that in Max it could be bad for puzzle games.