BlitzGL

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzGL

Ant(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, I'm new to BlitzMax so please bare with me ;-) I've noticed that if you compile a tutorial program in a window (as opposed to fullscreen) the title bar displays BlitzGL. Now does this mean that the game is using opengl to run the app? I thought you had to use specific commands to use OpenGL as opposed to DirectX?

Thanks for any help

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
Mine say "Blitzmax Application"
Are you using version 1.10?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#3]
The default Blitz installer is v1.09, it is imperative that you grab 1.10 and -then- do a syncmods!

Then you do have to use a specific command to use OpenGL (on Windows)... but it doesn't say BlitzGL. I think BlitzGL will be/has been retired, maimed and shot.

Ant(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ok guys I updated to v1.10 and every time I run a sample program the error Unhandled Excpetion: Attempt to access field or method of Null Object message appears.

It seems to dislike the 'graphics' command...any ideas what the problem could be?
Thanks again

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#5]
Could you show your code?

btw:
If you try to use BGL create context you have to set first OpenGL drivers on windows, just to mention.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
Does this compile and run?
Graphics 640,480,0,0
while not keydown(KEY_ESCAPE)
flushmem
wend
end

if not, did you do a syncmods from the IDE as well as updating the version?

Ant(Posted 2005) [#7]
Graphics 640,480,0,0
while not keydown(KEY_ESCAPE)
flushmem
wend
end

This works no problem. If you take the snowfall.bmx included in BlitzMax, it generates the error here:

Strict

Global width=800
Global height=600

Graphics width,height,16 ' Error generated here

I've double checked and all my modules are up to date...
Thanks guys

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
Try changing the graphics commands to

Graphics width, height, 0

also, what are the specs of the system your are trying to run it on?

Ant(Posted 2005) [#9]
This is odd. I've just switched from 16 bit to 32 bit colour for my desktop, re ran the snowfall program and it now doesn't generate an error - even without adding a 0 parameter. In fact all the programs seem to work ok - I really dont understand this!

- specs are a 2GHz Laptop, 64MB Nvidia Go gfx card, 384MB RAM

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#10]
It is probably a result of running it on a laptop, but hey, look on the bright side - it works! :)

Ant(Posted 2005) [#11]
Indeed! Still very odd though - but thanks to everyone for your help. Lets hope it doesnt crop up again!