File format not recognized

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/File format not recognized

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#1]
Using Blitzmax 1.10 on Win XP pro, modules synced.

Each time I save a .bmx file and try to compile it I get:

C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/tmp/ld.tmp: file not recognized: File format not recognized

If I create a new .bmx without saving it to disk first, it compiles fine. Save it to disk, that error occurs on each compile.

If I save the .bmx in
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/tmp
it compiles fine, no error.

If I save it anywhere else, the error occurs. Why?

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#2]
Ok, just as a test I copied the directory structure for the sample app Digesteroids to a different folder structure, so it is not in a subfolder of BlitzMax. Now it gives the same error, but it didn't where it was originally.

Do all projects have to be in a subfolder of the Blitzmax installation folder in order to compile, is that what the problem is?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
Do all projects have to be in a subfolder of the Blitzmax installation folder in order to compile, is that what the problem is?

Nope.

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ok then, any clue as to what the problem is?

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#5]
Can you provide the simplest example that fails?

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Anything at all fails, it doesn't matter how simple.

But...
I have discovered what the problem is.
The folder where the source code is located in cannot have the character
@
in the name of the folder.

For years, I have kept source code for all my development work under a folder named
@
but apparently the blitzmax compiler doesn't like that.

I just tested a whole bunch of variations of folder names that include the character @, and each of them cause this error on compile.

Example: put your source code in a folder named
@Testing
or
Test@Test
or any other variation
and Blitzmax will fail on compile with the error

-------------------------
Building ATest
Compiling:ATest.bmx
flat assembler version 1.51
3 passes, 2157 bytes.
Linking:ATest.debug.exe
C:/PROGRA~1/BlitzMax/tmp/ld.tmp: file not recognized: File format not recognized

Process complete
-------------------------

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#7]
The problem appears also if you use extra characters like "äöü" etc. . But I think this is an old bug and should been fixed with the next update.

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#8]
If it's not going to be fixed, I hope at least it is modified to give a more meaningful error message.

In my case, the culprit was the character @ in a folder name, but I'm sure as klepto has stated there must be a lot of other characters that are commonly used in folder names that cause this problem.

I have Blitz3d code under folder @, along with C++, C#, and asp.net code. No problem. Blitzmax - obscure error message.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#9]
Unless any of these 'special' characters are not allowed on Linux or Mac filesystems, I'd say you're right. File this in the bug reports forum.