Why? Keep getting "Cant find interface" errors

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Why? Keep getting "Cant find interface" errors

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

BlitzMAX v1.10

Just bought MAX and sorry to say that the documentation is near useless. I've downloaded a few examples:

SAS Map Editor:
Error: "Cant find interface for module pub.igl"

Max Invaders (www.blitz.sos-software.co.uk):
Error: "Cant find interface for module brl.d3d7max2d"

Tile Demo (www.blitz.sos-software.co.uk):
Identifier SetGraphicsDriver not found. The line in question reads

SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

What are these "Cant find interface" errors? I really hope someone either writes a book or some decent tutorials appear soon.

Sin

Yan(Posted 2005) [#2]
When you upgraded to v1.10, did you synchronise modules?

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#3]
No, but I cant get the web sync to work (Unknow error) and I'm not sure how to use the command line.

Whats the command?

Cheers

Sin

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Were you able to syncmods OK at 1.09?

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#5]
Dont know, I downloaded the patch immediately and installed it. Is there not some KMD.exe or something that will sync the modules?

Sin

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#6]
To make a syncmod from Commandline:

Go to your Bmax folder and there to the bin folder.
After that you can run the 'bmk.exe syncmods -u username -p password'

Then it should work. BTW: the docs are not very good, but better than the most people thinks, and thats only because they didn't read the docs carefully. (I mean the usage of the bmk tool is described very well in the docs)

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yes, the tool is well described... if you know what the hell its talking about and know you must sync the modules. Where does it say sync the modules after an update? Perhaps a little instructions on the download link would be nice... etc. Why do I have to connect the web everytime I apply an update... that is simply nonsense. Whats the point of applying an update when it buggers everything else? I mean, this is a brand new unmodified download of v1.09 for goodness sake. If I download a patch, I expect my compiler to work afterwards.

Nope, command line gives exactly same error (if I ignore proxy box). Great... I cant use patch v1.10 and now have to re-install v1.09 of the program. What a complete waste of time.

Sorry disagree, the documentation is simply AWFUL. The tutorial by Wave~ is very good though a follow up one would be good (hint). I own all Blitz products to date and this is simply the most troublesome yet. Assumptions have been made, that no new person to language are ever going to know.

Help appreciated anyway.

Sin

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
make sure you use you login username since it may be different from your forum nickname.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#9]
Where does it say sync the modules after an update? Perhaps a little instructions on the download link would be nice... etc
From the update forum:
Here are the latest BlitzMax updates for all platforms:

BlitzMax Update 1.10 : MacOS | Windows | Linux

These include updates to the BlitzMax binaries and core documentation. After installing an update, you should also perform a 'synchronize modules' to grab the latest module updates.

...And wot Pert said... ;o)

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#10]
Perturbatio: I'm assuming its the same ID that you get the BlitzMAX updates with and put the PUID into (register)?

TwoEyedPete: OK, I'll give you that... but my argument still stands. The Patch v1.10 should "sync" the modules, I should not need to have to go online to do it. What happens I install this on my machine that doesnt have a web connection? I can put the update on a USB pen or CD... but I cant sync it though. Sorry, that system is simply annoying. When I asked for the command line, I didnt realise it would still connect to the web.

Sin

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#11]
As a side note you won't be able to compile SAS Map Editor unless you own the iGlass library. That's why you are getting:

Error: "Cant find interface for module pub.igl"

you can use the map code without iGlass though. and the example programs should compile and run.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#12]
Just so there's no ambiguity, you should be entering these...

I presume you're not behind a proxy server?

You could try opening '<BMAX PATH>/cfg/modservers.cfg' up in notepad, it should contain 'www.blitzbasic.com/modserver_pub' (the server is up at the moment).

I don't know what else to suggest if all of the above fails, apart from contacting BR!

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#13]
Not sure if this will help I have had BMax for some time. Reinstalled my operating system redownloaded max. Ran since for 1.09 and 1.10 nothing to dload with seemed odd. The version I downloaded from here has the sync server configured as www.blitzbasic.com/modserver2.

Now my other system i use that can download the modules has it set to www.blitzbasic.com/modserver_pub.

So I'm thinking something is up isn;t mod2 where beta stuff is being tested hence we have no access so nothing to dload.

Twisted Cube

AKA Gerdon

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah, damn the proxy servers here (tried both!). I'm assuming it must be accessing through a blocked port at work. Yes, those are the details I have been using.

Think I'll try my trusty old brothers dial-up 56k modem and zip the whole folder up, then take it in here and see if that works.

Cheers for the help lads.

Sin

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#15]
Easy fix. Just go into the cfg folder in your cmax directory open up the modservers file and change the modserver2 to modserver_pub. After that sync worked fine here and back in action now used to have same error as you.

Twisted Cube

AKA Gerdon

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#16]
Cheers for the help mate, just copied the zip over already (which worked by the way).

Sin

PS. my file already has that entry. However, ran a little experiment on our 3rd proxy(different proxy software) and it seems to accept whatever port its using. Zipping the file was a waste of time after all. :)

Yan(Posted 2005) [#17]
Ah well...At least it's working now. :o)

Sin of Nature(Posted 2005) [#18]
Cheers for the help TwoEyedPete, dont mean to moan... just a little frustrated with MAX at moment. :D