Build Modules and Rebuild All Modules greyed out

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Build Modules and Rebuild All Modules greyed out

puki(Posted 2005) [#1]
Yep, the old 'Build Modules' and 'Rebuild All Modules' greyed out revisted.

I reinstalled BMax recently (1.09), then installed the update (1.10) over the top onto a WindowsXP machine. I then did a 'Synchronise Modules'. However, I noted that 'Program/Build Modules' and 'Program/Rebuild All Modules' are greyed out.

I've seen it raised before with regard to those options being greyed out and even seen a workaround by using bmk.exe ('bmk makemods -r' and 'bmk makemods -d') to create a 'MakeMods.bat file.

The workaround doesn't work for me.

So, I want to clarify a few things - some of which seemed important before:

1. Should 'Program/Build Modules' and 'Program/Rebuild All Modules' be greyed out? Are there any paramaters here that cause them to be either greyed out or useable?

2. Does BlitzMax have to be in a specific location on your hard-drive? I have let BMax install itself where it wanted to go (in Program Files/BlitzMax).

3. Are there any restrictions (such as spaces in drive paths)?

4. Should I expect the above mentioned workaround to actually work for me?

I was attracted back to using BMax when I noticed the 'DreiDe' 3D engine thread (http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49211). I thought, 'Great - I'll play about with this'. I downloaded 'DreiDe' and read the docs:

Note:
- Please get sure, that you have the newest update of BlitzMax installed!
- Please get sure, that you have sync mods!

I HAD ALREADY DONE BOTH OF THE ABOVE - SO LOOKING GOOD SO FAR.

No MingW on Windows?
- http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=47712
(for registered BlitzMax users only)

Install:
- Copy the directory "pub.mod\dreide.mod" into the BlitzMax directory "pub.mod"
- Open the BlitzMaxIDE and press Alt+D to build modules

RIGHT - I'VE DONE THAT - BUT ALT+D DOESN'T BUILD MODULES.

"Mark Sibly" stated 'To enable module development, you must install the Mingw package (main download here), and add the Mingw 'bin' directory to your PATH environment variable. You must also add a MINGW environment variable that contains the base directory of the Mingw installation.'

Well, I get the bit about installing the 'Mingw' package. However, "Mark Sibly" hasn't mentioned how to actually add the Mingw 'bin' directory to your PATH environment variable and add a MINGW environment variable that contains the base directory of the Mingw installation. I'd kind of guess that was sort of crucial to getting it working?

Now, it would seem that more than one person was a bit confused at this point. Also, I should point out that more than one BMax user could not build modules correctly - Alt D just produced 'Building Modules - Compiling:blitz_app.c - Process complete'. Which is basically all BMax has ever done for me (even though the options are greyed out). More than one person has made reference to the lack of instruction of how to set up 'Mingw' with BMax.

Then another 'BMax workaround' rears it's head:

copy C:\MinGW\bin into blitzmax\bin and then ALT+D

Magic??? Prior to copying those folder contents, BMax would not build modules - now it does.

Now, I and other people have NOT added the Mingw 'bin' directory to the PATH environment variable and added a MINGW environment variable that contains the base directory of the Mingw installation - yet, it still works. I'm wondering if somewhere along the line we might regret not doing it that way. Apparantly, this should be done in 'System Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables/'. However, that too opens a can of worms - my 'path environment variable' is already set to 'Visual Studio'.

Exactly what is the correct solution?

One of my concerns is all the little workarounds that keep appearing in BMax (not in programming, but in setting the thing up to work) will at some point fail or in some way limit the future use of BMax for the people who have had to resort to using workarounds.

The end result for me is 'Program/Build Modules' and 'Program/Rebuild All Modules' are STILL greyed out. Even though, I eventually got BMax to succesfully do a 'ALT+D'.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
to set the environment variables in XP, go to control panel, open the System properties
click advanced
click environment variables
in user variables create a New one called MINGW and set the path to your MinGW install
then edit your PATH variable and add on the end:
;c:\minGW\bin

(change it to wherever you installed MinGW)

puki(Posted 2005) [#3]
Great - Thanks "Perturbatio". How about the 'Build Modules' and 'Rebuild All Modules' being greyed out? Is that normal or should I expect them to never be greyed out? Coz, this appears to be something that keeps rearing its head with BMax.

EDIT:
Mmm, I did another reinstall - the options are no longer greyed out. However, I purely reinstalled the same way I did it yesterday - so not sure why they suddenly work? So, I'm going to leave it be - in case they 'grey out' again.

degac(Posted 2005) [#4]
I have too the options 'Build Modules' and 'Rebuild All Modules' greyed on both two computer, but ALT+D works and I can build modules (MinGW is installed correctly on both the computer, I have both update Bmax to version 1.1, I have sync-mods on both...)
I really don't know why they are grey: well I think that it's their original state, unless I read this thread...

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
I suspect the grey state is because the IDE is looking for something specific to test whether you have MinGW installed but the build routine itself is probably happy with just the insertion in PATH (maybe? possibly?).

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#6]
My guess is that it's looking for just the existance of the MINGW env variable.

I'm currently in the midst of trying to figure out what the hell just happenned to my MinGW installation.

I just set it up, compiled my modules a couple of times, decided to upgrade fasm to 1.6whatever, then it stopped compiling. Switched back to 1.51, still not working. Umm, goblins.